I’m a huge fan of naturally gluten-free food. It’s usually healthier, usually cheaper, and IMHO, usually tastier, too. There are so many ways to go g-free quick and easy, and I highlighted a bunch in last month’s newsletter, with tips from a variety of gluten-free bloggers.
And yet…there are so many reasons packaged foods do come in handy from time to time, whether it’s because of job demands, travel, outdoor activities that prevent easy access or you just need to have something shelf-stable and portable in the car in case of emergency.
So…in honor of Celiac Disease Awareness month in May, I put together a list of healthier options among packaged products, with an eye out towards ones that are lower in sugar, higher in fiber and protein, and less processed.
Obviously, you don’t want to forget naturally gluten-free options, too!
- Pure bars®
- Raw Revolution Bars®
- Kind bars®
- Bumble Bars®
- No Opportunity Wasted bar®
- NuGo bars®
- Rise bars
Quick meal options
- Amy’s Organic® has frozen entrees, with vegan and vegetarian options
- Dr. Praeger-veggie burgers, veggie patties, fish sticks & more.
- Garden lites® soufflés and muffins, vegan and vegetarian options
- Glutenfreeda® has a wide variety of options. Nutritionally speaking, the burritos are healthier than the ice cream sandwiches, of course
- Dr. Praeger’s® Gluten-free California Veggie Burgers (check the box—they also sell products with gluten but test gluten-free products for safety)
- Hilary’s Eat Well® Gluten-Free Veggie Burgers
- Qrunch®burgers Vegan and allergen friendly
- Sunshine burger® Nutritionally, the most fiber and protein packed g-free veggie burger I’ve seen!
- Certified g-free oatmeal—many brands are tested: Glutenfreeda, Bob’s Red Mill, Cream Hill Estates, Holly’s Oatmeal and more
- CookSimple® has a variety of boxed meals (some gluten-free, some not)
- GoPicnic® has pre-packed meals that are shelf-stable
- St. Dafour® has tinned meals (some gluten-free, some not)
- Bob’s Red Mill Mighty Tasty Hot Cereal®
- Crunchy Flax from Enjoy Life®
- Erewhon Buckwheat and Hemp Cereal®
- Kind Healthy Grain Clusters®
- Mesa Sunrise®
Ah, the task of finding a g-free bread with fiber. Try these:
Companies that offer sample boxes
Did I miss one of your very favorites? Let me know in the comments section!
Author Information: Cheryl Harris, MPH, RD, LD, Alexandria, VA, USA.
Cheryl Harris, MPH, RD, LD, Registered Dietitian and Nutritionist. Her passion is teaching people to live and love a gluten-free diet in the Northern Virginia area. For more, seewww.harriswholehealth.com or follow on Twitter @cherylharrisrd