A bisque is a rich, creamy soup made with one or more types of seafood, cream or milk and bisque is often thickened with flour. Our version of easy gluten-free lobster bisque is thickened with sweet rice flour which gives this lovely savory soup silky rich body.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
Yield: 4 servings
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons finely diced scallions
- 1 stalk finely diced celery with leaves
- 4 tablespoons gluten-free sweet rice flour
- 2 cups PLUS 2 tablespoons half and half (add more liquid, 1 tablespoon at a time, if you prefer a thinner bisque)
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon Old Bay Seasoning
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne (or to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon cane sugar
- 10-ounces cooked, coarsely chopped lobster meat (blot lobster meat with a tea towel to remove excess liquid which can thin the bisque)
- 2 or 3 tablespoons good quality sherry, to taste
- salt and pepper to taste
Melt butter in a heavy saucepan over medium low heat. Add diced scallions and celery and cook for about 3 minutes until vegetables begin to soften. Add sweet rice flour and whisk to blend into vegetables. Cook over medium hear for about 3 minutes, stirring frequently.
Slowly pour half and half into vegetable mixture and stir until blended. Stir in tomato paste. Cook over medium low heat for about 5 minutes or until bisque begins to thicken. Add paprika, Old Bay Seasoning, cayenne, sugar and sherry. Stir to blend. Add cooked lobster meat. Salt and pepper to taste. Simmer bisque over low heat for about 5 minutes, until heated through. Don’t boil.
Always make sure your work surfaces, utensils, pans and tools are free of gluten. Always read product labels. Manufacturers can change product formulations without notice. When in doubt, do not buy or use a product before contacting the manufacturer for verification that the product is free of gluten.