On January 12th in participating U.S. Starbucks stores, customers saw a line of new snack options with 220 calories or less per serving. The exciting news about these snacks-on-the-go is that at least 8 of the 9 are gluten-free. These new snacks are:
* Annie’s® Snacks: These delicious alternatives to traditional snacks are available in portion controlled sizes exclusive to Starbucks. They are labeled ‘naturally gluten free’ on the box. They are organic, contain no artificial colors or flavors, and are vegan/gelatin free and fat free. These fruit snacks can be purchased locally at health food stores and grocery stores.
* FoodShouldTasteGood®: Available in Multigrain and Sweet Potato, the all-natural chips are packed with quality ingredients. These chips are GFCO certified, so guaranteed gluten free and are quite tasty. The chips can be purchased locally at health food stores and grocery stores.
* KIND Bars: These all-natural bars with wholesome ingredients you can see and pronounce are the perfect grab-and-go snack. These nut and fruit snack bars are labeled gluten free and are also free of dairy. These bars can be purchased locally at health food stores and grocery stores.
* Lucy’s® Cookies: Available in Chocolate Chip, Sugar and Cinnamon, every crispy, crunchy, delicious Dr. Lucy’s cookie is made with the highest quality ingredients. These cookies are labeled gluten free and area also free of: dairy/casein, egg, peanuts and tree nuts. These cookies can be purchased locally at Return to Eden.
* Peeled Snacks®: Fruit just as nature intended – with no sugar added, organic and contains one serving of fruit in each pack. They are labeled gluten free.
* Peter Rabbit™ Organics: Perfect on-the-go snack for busy parents, showing kids that food can be fun and delicious. They contain no added sugar, but it is hard to tell if they are gluten-free, but the ingredients read gluten free.
* Sahale Snacks®: Available in Pomegranate Cashew, Soledad Nut Blend and Chipotle/Ranch Almond, each snack is made with whole ingredients in their natural form. Both Pomegranate Cashew and Soledad Nut Blend are make with gluten-free ingredients, but the third flavor appears to be one created specially for Starbucks, so the ingredients are not currently listed on their website.
* Stretch Island Fruit Company™: Tasty fruit that can travel with you wherever you go, every original Fruit Leather is equal to half a serving of fruit. They are 100% natural, contain no added sugar and nothing artificial. Here is an excerpt from their website regarding their gluten-free status: “The question regarding gluten in our product arises from concern over the ingredients used in the natural flavorings that are added to certain flavors — specifically alcohols and/or vinegars that may be included. All of our flavor suppliers have provided us with written statements that there is no gluten in the flavorings that they supply us.”
How exciting that Starbucks is giving gluten-free products another chance, given their complete abandon of the Valencia Orange Cake. It will be nice to know that these gluten-free snacks could be purchased at the airport, or when out and in need of a healthful gluten-free snack.
“Author Information: Jennifer D. Harris, Atlanta, GA
Jennifer D. Harris, http://www.jenniferglutenfreeingeorgia.blogspot.com/
Gluten-Free Product Specialist, Return to Eden, www.return2eden.com.
Program Chair, Atlanta Metro Celiacs, www.atlantametroceliacs.org
Twitter @jenniferGFinGA “