This lovely, satisfying lasagna is very rich in calcium, phosphorus, potassium, and vitamin A with the health benefits of lycopene and antioxidants.
- ½ box (8 oz.) gluten-free lasagna noodles, cooked as directed and drained
- 2 cups soft tofu, mashed
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- ¼ cup Parmesan or Romano cheese, grated
- 1 cup mozzarella or manchego (sheep) cheese, grated
- 1 cup mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1 cup broccoli florets, separated into small pieces, or zucchini slices
- 2 ½ cups tomato sauce
1 ½ quart glass baking pan or casserole dish.
Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Prepare or have ready tomato sauce. Prepare noodles and set aside.
While noodles are cooking, prepare cheese mixture. In a medium bow, combine tofu, egg, parsley, pepper and Manchego cheese and beat until fluffy.
Assemble lasagna. Spoon ¼ cup of tomato sauce onto bottom of pan, then lay 2 noodles over it. Spread tofu/cheese mixture over noodles. Pour ¼ cup tomato sauce, and top with 2 more noodles. Arrange mushrooms and broccoli evenly over noodles then cover with mozzarella or manchego cheese. Add ¼ cup sauce and top with noodles. Pour remaining sauce over the top. Sprinkle with the remaining Romano cheese. Cover with lid or aluminum foil to prevent evaporation.
Bake 45 minutes, or until bubbly. Remove lid or foil and bake 5 minutes more. Allow to cool 10 minutes before serving. Makes 4 to 5 servings.