- 5 quarts fresh popcorn
- 1/2 cup agave syrup OR light corn syrup
- 2 cups brown sugar
- 2 sticks (1 cup) butter
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
Preheat oven to 250°
- Pop 5 quarts of popcorn and place in a large roasting pan.
- Put butter, sugar, agave syrup OR corn syrup and cream of tartar in a large pan. Over medium heat, melt the mixture, stirring to prevent burning.
- Bring to a boil and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat.
- Add vanilla and baking soda and stir to mix.
- Carefully pour this mixture over the popcorn. Gently stir to thoroughly coat the popcorn.
- Bake for 1 hour, stirring every 15 minutes.
- Remove and pour on a large baking sheet to cool. Use a spatula to separate the warm clumps.
To freeze. Cool caramel corn completely. Seal tightly in freezer bags. Bring to room temperature to serve.
Reminder: Always make sure your work surfaces, utensils, pans and tools are free of gluten. Always read product labels. Manufacturers can change product formulations without notice. When in doubt, do not buy or use a product before contacting the manufacturer for verification that the product is free of gluten.