Did you know that you can make hummus with sunflower seeds? I didn’t either until I learned about it from my friend Dallas. Dallas is one of my most inspiring friends when it comes to healthy eating. She is a vegetarian, and although she isn’t gluten-free, much of her diet is naturally gluten-free, because she sticks to whole foods. Dallas also hosts our Raw Foods Potlucks each month. If you haven’t checked out this post on past Raw Foods Potlucks, take a look back.
But back to hummus. I love hummus. I make a big batch of it almost every weekend, and I pack it in my lunchbox throughout the week for an afternoon snack. One scoop of hummus covered with an assortment of veggies is a quick, easy, healthy snack that I can enjoy while working at my desk. I adore this sunflower seed hummus, because it’s flavorful, satisfying, and it has crunchy bits of sunflower seeds all throughout. And I love Dallas’ other idea to use olive juice to flavor the hummus instead of water. I like my hummus thick, but you can add more liquid for a smoother hummus.
Sunflower Seed Hummus
Inspired by Dallas
◦2 cans of garbanzo beans
◦4 cloves of garlic
◦1 c. sunflower seeds
◦Juice of 1 lemon
◦1 T. olive oil
◦1 t. salt
◦1/4 to 1/3 c. olive juice or water
1. Drain garbanzo beans and rinse well.
2. Place garlic cloves in the food processor and process until finely minced.
3. Add sunflower seeds and process roughly until they reach meal consistency.
4. Add drained garbanzo and all remaining ingredients. Process until it reaches desired consistency. This hummus will be thick because of the sunflower seeds. Feel free to add more olive juice or water if you want a smoother hummus.
5. Spoon into a bowl and garnish with sunflower seeds.
Serve hummus with gluten-free crackers, sliced cucumbers, carrot and celery sticks, or your favorite raw bread!
Author Information Heather, Nashville, TN
Heather is a gluten-free blogger by night and a Kindergarten teacher and fitness instructor by day. She writes about healthy, gluten-free living and shares gluten-free recipes, product reviews, and restaurant reviews on her blog.