Try this easy, no-fuss method for making gluten-free hot dog buns.
Use mini loaf pans (5-inches long by 3 3/4-inches wide) to make perfectly sized hot dog and brat buns. You will need 3 to 4 mini loaf pans to make 6 to 8 buns.
1. Prepare your favorite gluten-free bread batter using a recipe or mix. Divide the batter between 3 or 4 mini loaf pans if necessary, filling each pan about 1/2 full. Smooth the top of each loaf with a small spatula dipped in water.
2. Preheat oven to 350° F / 176° C.
3. Allow batter to rise just to the top edge of the pans in a warm, draft-free location – about 30-45 minutes.
4. Bake in preheated oven at recommended temperature for your recipe. Reduce baking time to about 35 minutes, or until a digital thermometer inserted into the center of loaf reads 206 degrees F.
5. Remove loaves from pans and cool on a rack.
When the loaves are completely cool, use a serrated bread knife and divide each loaf in half lengthwise. Next, cut each half lengthwise, but not completely through. See photo.
Mini loaf pans are the perfect length for traditional hot dogs and brats!
Author Information: Teri Gruss, MS
About.com Guide to Gluten-Free Cooking
Teri was diagnosed with gluten intolerance after decades of symptoms that culminated in malabsorption syndrome. Teri has written numerous health and nutrition articles for the popular website naturalnews.com and was a founding member and moderator of nutritioncircle.org, a nutrition forum for healthcare professionals and students. She is a member of the American Dietetic Association and supports the non-profit organization Gluten Intolerance Group (GIG) of North America as a member.
Email Teri Gruss, MS here.