Valentine’s Day is quickly approaching. It is a day of flowers, candy, chocolate desserts, sugar cookies and of course dinner. If you are on the gluten-free diet it can seem daunting to bake a gluten-free dessert that is a crowd pleaser, purchase a pre-made dessert, or determine which chocolates are gluten free, so read on and revel in the amount of gluten-free Valentine’s Day information that is out there to assist you in these tasks.
In our family, we love to dip strawberries and pretzels in chocolate, but since this Examiner is dairy/soy free, we use Enjoy Life’s chocolate chips. We have also used Erewhon Cocoa Crispy cereal to make rice krispy treats and cut them into heart shapes. Our favorite cookies to make are roll-and-cut sugar cookies and then top them with Pamela’s Products dark chocolate frosting, or their vanilla frosting topped with red sprinkles. Some of our favorite gluten-free chocolate cookies include: Kinnikinnick KinniToos, GLOW Gluten Free Double Chocolate, and Schar Chocolate Dipped, which can all be purchased locally at Return to Eden.
Listed below are just some of the gluten-free recipes we have found. Remember nothing says ‘I love you’ quite as well as heart-shaped sweets!
- About.com offers a list of Valentine’s Day recipes and gift ideas. They have also compiled a list of their Top 12 favorite Valentine’s Day recipes. Yet another list of 12 flourless chocolate cake recipes can be found on their site. There is also a list of eight red velvet cake recipes too.
- Betty Crocker even has a selection of gluten-free dessert recipes
- Elana’s Pantry has a list of do-it-yourself Valentine’s Day recipes and the one for making dark cake pops is particularly intriguing.
- Ginger Lemon Girl offers up a selection of gluten-free, dairy/casein free, and soy free recipes
- Glutenfreeda – has a selection of Valentine’s chocolate desserts. They even have some casein-free recipes as well.
- Gluten Free Easily has a list of six 3-minute chocolate cake recipes for those of us who want to bake, but don’t have enough time.
- Live Gluten Freely – has a number of gluten-free dessert recipes involving chocolate
- Marion’s Smart Delights – has developed three new recipes, using Marion’s Smart Delights Gluten-Free Cookie and Muffin Baking Mix: Chocolaty Chocolate Cookies (dairy free), Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins (dairy free), and White Chocolate Mixed Berry Muffins.
- Pamela’s Products has some Valentine’s Day recipes from which to choose
Remember to check out the local gluten-free bakeries and restaurants to see what Valentine’s Day treats they are offering.
Celiac Family created a list of safe candies for Valentine’s Day that will help you choose the perfect candies for your family.
Want to discuss Valentine’s Day recipes some more?? Start a discussion on our Facebook page by posting to our wall!
Author Information: Jennifer D. Harris, Atlanta, GA
Jennifer D. Harris, http://www.jenniferglutenfreeingeorgia.blogspot.com
Gluten-Free Product Specialist, Return to Eden
Program Chair, Atlanta Metro CeliacsTwitter@jenniferGFinGA