I love bringing along homemade muffins with me on hotel vacations. They’re fantastic for snack or breakfast, can be filled with protein and healthy fats (which I always seem to lack when I travel), and even if they get squished during my trip, they still taste Read More »
Tag Archives: Snacks
These 5 tips will help you stay gluten-free at the times when it is toughest.
Restaurants: Talk to the Manager.
Restaurants can be a minefield. Talking to the manager before you eat, even before you visit, can guarantee a safe meal. Why the manager? The manager has a vested interest in making sure you have a great experience. He or she often knows what is in the meals, usually understands gluten if the restaurant claims a gluten-free menu, and has quick access to ingredient labels. The other staff, even including cooks, may be new hires or less educated when it comes to gluten.
Family Events: Bring it. Hide it.
Family parties and get togethers are great, fun, boisterous times! Unless you know the host is making a gluten-free meal with lots of options, it is best to bring your food, even if it is “just in case.” Why hide it? When the cousins see your delicious gluten-free cookies or meatballs or bbq chicken, they are going to eat it. All of it. Cross contamination is also an issue. We’ve all seen people use the same spoons to scoop up different dishes. Bring it. Hide it. At least hide some of it.
Grocery Shopping: Choose Whole Foods over Processed.
Most processed foods contain multiple ingredients. Some are easy to figure out. Others might as well be a different language. Choosing whole foods makes it easy to shop gluten-free. Whole foods include eggs, meats, vegetables, nuts, fish, fruits…basically ingredients. While preparation might take a little longer, lots of times the meals we make are more nutritious and delicious. Especially when made with gluten-free love.
Don’t Chance It. When in Doubt, Toss it Out.
I once asked my mother whether a leftover in the refrigerator was still good. “When in doubt, toss it out,” she said. The idea is that it isn’t worth getting sick over. This logic applies to gluten-free. If you’re not sure about a food or meal, don’t risk it. Eating that particular food or dish isn’t worth being sick for hours or days. Also, your instincts are generally right.
“I……am…….starving!” We’ve all been there. Skipped breakfast. Worked through lunch. Whatever the reason, now we are starving and judgment is out the window. This is exactly the situation we want to avoid because being hungry makes it exponentially harder to make good decisions. Carrying snacks is so important and can be a live saver. Find a few shelf stable snacks you like and keep them in your glove compartment or in a desk drawer for those times when you need ANYTHING to eat.
Katz Gluten Free Mini Jelly Donuts | Dairy Free, Nut Free, Soy Free, Gluten Free | Kosher (1 Pack of 6 Donuts, 8.5 Ounce Each)
- FULL OF TASTE: Have the real Jelly Donut experience without even knowing it’s Gluten Free.
- NO ARTIFICIAL PRESERVATIVES: Our customers deserve fresh tasting products without any artificial preservatives or other harmful chemical additives. With fast shipping and all products leaving our bakery frozen, we’re sure your gluten free products will arrive in a tasty, fresh but also healthy way. If you’re not eating it right away, be sure to refreeze on arrival.
- CERTIFICATIONS: Certified by – Gluten Intolerance Group (GIG), Kosher by the OU.
- GUARANTEE: If for any reason this product doesn’t fully live up to your expectations, we, Katz Gluten Free – the Manufacturer and Seller – will repurchase it from you, no questions asked.
“These are so delicious! When I had to stop eating gluten (health reasons), I knew the number one thing I’d miss more than anything would be my obsession – doughnuts. I’d tried several gluten free doughnuts in stores and was always left VERY disappointed. These Katz Gluten Free Jelly Donuts brought back a lifetime love to me! The smell, the texture, the delicious taste – they’re the doughnuts I’d been missing. There’s a perfect amount of raspberry filling inside – just enough to taste without overwhelming the flavor of the donuts, themselves. Seriously, these are uncommonly delicious and I plan to order more than just two boxes next time!”
Simple Mills makes delicious and nutritious gluten-free snacks made from almond flour. Almond flour offers great “mouth feel” and keeps baked goods moist.
Tate’s makes some really yummy gluten-free cookies. Check out this deal for 4 bags!
- Contains 4: 7 Ounce bags
- Uniquely Crispy, deeply delicious
- Treat yourself or someone special to a little bake shop in every bite
- Handmade and craft baked
- Thin and buttery homemade taste
- GLUTEN FREE PRETZELS: Our certified Gluten Free Pretzel Sticks are a delicious alternative to wheat-based pretzels
- NO DAIRY, EGG, OR MILK: Made without dairy, egg or milk, and is a great low-fat snack even those not following a gluten-free diet will love
- SCHOOL SNACK: Our pretzels are made in a facility that does not process peanuts – safe for nut-free schools
- GLUTEN-FREE SNACK: Great on their own and paired with hummus, cheese, or your favorite gluten free dip
- SHAREABLE BAG: Ships as a single 8 ounce bag for sharing with family and friends
King Arthur Flour Gluten-Free Single Serve Microwave Variety Pack Super Fudge Brownie and Chocolate Chip
King Arthur Flour Gluten-Free Single Serve Variety Pack Super Fudge Brownie and Chocolate Chip, 12 Count
King Arthur Flour makes excellent mixes. We’ve tried them all.
Now they’ve stepped it up a notch with their microwaveable single serve baked in a cup goodness!
Nature’s Bakery Gluten Free Fig Bars, Blueberry, 6- 6 Count Boxes of 2oz Twin Packs (36 Packs), Vegan Snacks, Non-GMO
“Figs are a good source of vitamin K, potassium, calcium, and magnesium. Vitamin K is important for blood clotting. Potassium and calcium important for muscle function. Magnesium helps regulate blood pressure and supports over 300 enzyme reactions.”1
Figs also contain fiber. Best of all, they are sweet and yummy!
- Contains 6 – 6 Count Boxes (36 Twin Packs; 2 snack bars per Twin Pack) of Nature’s Bakery Blueberry Flavored Gluten Free Fig Bars. New improved flavor and texture.
- Perfect for active, on-the-go nutrition or a healthy treat for kids’ lunches and after-school snacks
- Made with Gluten-Free Ancient Grains, Real Figs & Blueberry Juice
- Soy Free, Dairy Free, Cholesterol Free, No High Fructose Corn Syrup, 0g Trans Fat
- Non-GMO Project Verified, Certified Vegan, Plant Based, Kosher, Gluten Free, Made in a Nut-Free Facility
Stroopwafels are a great go-to snack when you’re on the run.
Sweet Amsterdam’s Stroopwafels are gluten-free!
- Contains 12 Gluten Free “Caramel & Cinnamon” Stroopwafel Wafers / Cookies
- Organic, Gluten Free, Dairy Free and Soy Free
- No Artificial Ingredients, Trans Fats, Preservatives or High Fructose Corn Syrup and Low Carb
- This Snack is Authentically Made in the Netherlands!
- NON GMO