It appears to be cookie season! Looking at all of those tasty offerings is enough to bring a tear to any gluten free eye because they are off limits. Well, wipe that tear away! Here is a solution to the I-can’t-order-these-cookies-because-they’re-full-of-gluten blues.
The recipe for these peanut butter sandwich cookies comes to us from Florida, from Elizabeth Signer (A.K.A The Fat Boxer) to be exact. The recipe comes with many assurances that these cookies are so much better than the ones you can buy that you won’t be missing anything.
Well, one thing is sure about Kansas City residents, we know how to eat! Put these cookies to the test. When you’re finished, come back and post a comment to suggest a suitable name for them, because these are not just any peanut butter cookies. In fact, while you’re at it, drop Elizabeth a line at her Orlando Weight Loss Column here on Examiner.com, let her know what you think.
Ingredients for Gluten Free Peanut Butter Sandwich Cookies
- 1 egg
- 1 cup peanut butter
- 1 cup brown sugar (or, Elizabeth adds, Splenda for the Fat Boxers)
- 3/4 cups shredded coconut
Preparation for Gluten Free Peanut Butter Sandwich Cookies
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Put all ingredients in a large mixing bowl and mix well.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Drop cookie dough by rounded tablespoons onto parchment paper, about two inches apart.
- Flatten dough with wet fingers or a wet fork.
- Bake for 11-15 minutes. (Elizabeth says, “It’s supposed to be eleven, but I let mine go for thirteen to fifteen to get them all crispy.”)
- Let the cookies cool completely before removing them from the baking sheet.
- In a small bowl, mix together 1/2 cup peanut butter and 3/4 cup marshmallow fluff.
- Spread the fluffer nutter mixture between two cookies to make sammiches.
A final step that is not required but could be fun is to call everyone you know who just ordered cookies and brag about how you got yours first and how great they taste.
- Almond butter and cashew butter would also make great cookies.
- If you are feeling extra creative, add a layer of strawberry jam to the filling for a fruity twist.
Author Information: Marissa Carter, Kansas City
Gluten Free Product Reviews: www.glutenfreeproductreviews.blogspot.com
Kansas City Gluten-Free Food Examiner: http://www.examiner.com/x-19097-Kansas-City-GlutenFree-Food-Examiner
Suite 101: www.suite101.com/profile.cfm/mmrcarter