With the Thanksgiving holiday quickly approaching, I have been itching to find ways to eat the leftover turkey. I know this may seem odd,as there is no leftover turkey yet, but I am anticipating leftovers, as we have never not had them. I wanted to get creative this year and mix things up. Yeah, turkey soup and mashed potato bowls are great, but I wanted to create a unique turkey sandwich. I didn’t want anything complicated, just a different way to enjoy the fruits of our labor from Thanksgiving day.
Thanksgiving Turkey Sandwich
- 2 slices Udi’s Cinnamon Raisin Bread
- 2 tsps. Earth Balance coconut spread (butter or margarine can be substituted)
- 1-2 ounces leftover turkey,thinly sliced
- 1 slice Swiss cheese
- 1-2 tsps. apple butter or Trader Joe’s apple cranberry butter (you could even use leftover cranberry sauce here)
- 3-4 ultra thin slices of apple (I prefer Honeycrisp for the crunch factor)
1. If your bread is frozen,warm slightly in the microwave and spread with butter or margarine.
2. Spray a frying pan with Pam and warm to medium.
3. Place bread,butter side down in pan. Layer with turkey,apple butter,apple slices,cheese and top slice of bread.
4. Cook evenly on both sides until bread is brown and cheese is melted.
5. Slice &enjoy!
- I used deli turkey for recipe testing purposes.
- Watch the bread closely while it is in the pan – the sugar in the raisins can make it burn.
- This recipe can easily be doubled,tripled,etc.
- Not a fan of raisins? Use one of Udi’s other gluten-free bread options:white,whole grain,or millet-chia.
I instantly fell in love with this combination! The sweet &savory combination really came together nicely and the crisp apple slices were the perfect addition to the melty cheese. I can’t wait to make this again!
**The bread used for review purposes in this recipe was sent to me free of charge.
[Editor’s Note: Reposted from 2011.]