Whether you have kids out Trick or Treating tonight, or you are going to be cuddling up on the couch watching a scary movie, why not enjoy your Halloween evening with some seasonal caramel corn? This recipe is sure to complete your evening and is easy to make!
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour
Total Time: 1 hour, 15 minutes
- 5 quarts fresh popcorn
- 1/2 cup agave syrup OR light corn syrup
- 2 cups brown sugar
- 2 sticks (1 cup) butter
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- Pop 5 quarts of popcorn and place in a large roasting pan.
- Put butter, sugar, agave syrup OR corn syrup and cream of tartar in a large pan. Over medium heat, melt the mixture, stirring to prevent burning.
- Bring to a boil and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat.
- Add vanilla and baking soda and stir to mix.
- Carefully pour this mixture over the popcorn. Gently stir to thoroughly coat the popcorn.
- Bake for 1 hour, stirring every 15 minutes.
- Remove and pour on a large baking sheet to cool. Use a spatula to separate the warm clumps.
About.com Guide to Gluten-Free Cooking
Teri was diagnosed with gluten intolerance after decades of symptoms that culminated in malabsorption syndrome. Teri has written numerous health and nutrition articles for the popular website naturalnews.com and was a founding member and moderator of nutritioncircle.org, a nutrition forum for healthcare professionals and students. She is a member of the American Dietetic Association and supports the non-profit organization Gluten Intolerance Group (GIG) of North America as a member.
Email Teri Gruss, MS here.