I have a treat for you this weekend! Gluten free vegan easy and super creamy tomato basil soup! A classic comfort dish!
Yes, that is right – this recipe is creamy, rich deliciousness that is vegan and doesn’t take forever to make!
It has been exceptionally cold around the Mid West these days, and while this is the time of the year that my heart longs for a warm repose, there is nothing like a warm classic soup to soothe the soul!
Okay, I really didn’t mean to rhyme!
But anyway, I started making this and didn’t know where I was going. Seriously.
All you chefs out there know what I am talking about…
It’s like, you get in the kitchen, you look at your ingredients and think, “How can I make a miracle out of this?”
But it turned out good for me because I was able to put on my Food Network style creativity and super chef cape! I was prepared to make a miracle!
I get like that when I am in tough situations…
So, I had tomato ingredients (lots of those in fact), and I had fresh basil along with a couple other ingredients and I thought, “Why not make the best tomato basil soup I have ever tasted”?
The finished product is beautiful huh?
It was creamy, rich, and just the perfect tomato basil soup! Just dairy free!
So with my masterpiece dinner prepared, I decided then that it was in need of a final touch so I added some gluten free grilled cheese and voila! There it was!
May this recipe be proof to you that you can seriously make a masterpiece out of seemingly nothing in your kitchen.
Again, this is quick and too perfect for you not to bookmark, make, and share on Pinterest, or something, so if you are chilly like me and wanting something warm, then follow the directions below!
Leave a comment and tell me if you made any extra cool variations too! I would love to know what you added to make this fabulous soup rock in your home!
- (a) Saute:
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 big cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced small
- (b) Add In Order to the Pot:
- 15 whole peeled tomatoes chopped, I used Muir Glenn’s (drain the water)
- 2-1/2 cup vegan chick’n broth (or 3 tsp McKay’s chicken seasoning + 2½ c water)
- ½-cup vegan sour cream, I used Tofutti
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 tbsp organic cane sugar
- 2 tsp fresh parsley
- 2 tsp vegan Parmesan, optional
- ¼ tsp dried ground oregano
- 6-8 fresh basil leaves, chopped
- Sea salt to taste
- Black pepper to taste
- Extra basil for fresh topping, (optional)
- Add 3 tbsp of olive oil to a large pot and heat it over medium heat.
- Chop garlic and onions, and add to the pot. Sauté onions until they are translucent (avoid ingredients burning – they should be lightly browned).
- Next, prepare and add the remainder of the ingredients in order to the pot, stirring the tomato soup until all ingredients are well incorporated.
- Once well incorporated, turn off the stove, and purée soup in a high powered blender.
- Once puréed to a semi-thick creamy consistency, add soup back to the large pot over low/medium heat stirring in extra fresh basil, and any extra ingredients you would like to bring out more flavor (e.g. extra vegan parmesan, sour cream, sea salt, black pepper…).
- Remove from heat, and serve immediately!
This soup would pair well with a gluten free grilled cheese sandwich, gluten free toast, gluten free croutons, or you may even consider some havari Daiya cheese on top with extra dairy-free sour cream!
Be creative! I just know you are going to love this!
Warms your body – warms your heart!