Did you have a good weekend?
Kevin and I had initially planned to go to Calaway Park, but it ended up raining all weekend so we decided to stay home and organize the house! Sounds much better than going to a theme park, right? *rolls eyes*
It’s amazing how much stuff a person can accumulate over the years, isn’t it? I was surprised to learn that we have 11 boxes of Christmas things – lights, decorations, stockings, etc. That’s more than we have boxes of books, or clothes! There’s something wrong with this picture, no?
Come Sunday afternoon, we had made two trips to the goodwill center, organized the basement, our offices and the garage, and were absolutely drop-dead starving! Kevin kept himself busy sorting through a box of old photos while I prepared a big salad for the two of us. We met in the living room just off the kitchen, sat on the floor with the dogs, and gobbled it all up!
Vegan Creamy Ranch Quinoa Salad
Vegan, Gluten-free, Dairy-free, Sugar-free, Yeast-free, Corn-free, Nut-free
Quinoa ranch salad with sweet potato, fresh parsley, black beans, bell peppers and pepitas.
Yield: 6 cups
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup raw white quinoa
- 1 cup small cubed sweet potato
- 1/4 cup flat leaf parsley
- 1-1/2 cup black beans
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 1 yellow pepper, diced
- 1/2 cup pepitas, soaked for 8 hours, drained and rinsed (soaking optional)
- 4 green onions, diced
- 1 batch vegan ranch salad dressing (recipe below)
- Place quinoa in a medium-sized saucepan with 2 cups of water. Cover, bring to a boil, reduce heat to low and simmer for 12 minutes. Remove from heat and keep covered for 10 minutes. Remove lid and place int the freezer to cool while you prepare everything else.
- Bring a pot of water to a boil, add diced sweet potatoes and boil for 5-6 minutes, or until tender. Drain, rinse with cold water and set aside.
- Prepare remaining ingredients, placing them in a large bowl when complete.
- Prepare vegan ranch salad dressing using recipe below.
- Add cooled quinoa and yam to vegetable mixture. Pour dressing over top.
- Stir to coat, and serve!
Vegan Ranch Salad Dressing
Vegan, Gluten-free, Dairy-free, Sugar-free, Yeast-free, Corn-free, Grain-free, Nut-free
Homemade vegan ranch salad dressing. Great as a veggie dip, tofu marinade, or dressing to your favorite green salad.
Yield: 0.875 cups
Servings: 7 (2 tablespoons per serving)
- 1/2 cup egg-free light mayonnaise
- 1/3 cup non-dairy milk
- 1 tbsp raw apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp dried minced onions
- 2 tsp parsley flakes
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- Place all ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth.
Please make me feel better about our 11 boxes of Christmas decorations. How many boxes do you have?
Author Information: Leanne Vogel, Alberta, Canada
Leanne Vogel is a Holistic Nutritionist with a passion for healthy treats, whole food eats, and balanced living.