Gluten-free shamrock sugar cookies are buttery good, easy to make and a charmin’ St. Patrick’s Day cookie.
You will need a small (about 3/4-inch diameter) shamrock cookie cutter to use as a stencil on your cookies. If you can’t find this type of cookie cutter you can make your own stencil by tracing and cutting a shamrock shape on a plastic kitchen mat (available at most stores in housewares.)
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 35 minutes
For this recipe, you will need:
- 2 large eggs
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh lemon peel (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup gluten-free all purpose flour mix (with xanthan or guar gum in the mix) See note!
- 10 tablespoons melted, cool unsalted butter OR your favorite dairy-free butter substitute
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar to dip glass in to press cookies
- 1/4 – 1/2 cup gluten-free fine green decorating sugar (You can make your own colored decorating sugar by placing 1/2 cup fine baking sugar in a 1-pint jar and adding several drops of green, in this case green food coloring. Shake to distribute food coloring.
1. Preheat oven to 375F / 190C
2. Line 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper, silicone pads or lightly grease.
3. You will also need a small (3/4-inch) Shamrock cookie cutter. This will be used as a stencil to decorate your cookies with green sugar, before baking.
4. Combine eggs and sugar in a large mixing bowl and beat on high until creamy, about 3 minutes.
5. Add vanilla, lemon peel and salt and beat to combine. Gradually add gluten-free flour and beat just until combined.
6. Slowly drizzle melted butter into the mixture and beat until combined.
7. Drop cookie dough by heaping rounded teaspoons on prepared baking sheets, leaving about 1-1/2 inches space between cookies.
8. Dip a small (2-inch diameter) drinking glass in the extra sugar and gently press down on each cookie.
9. Gently center the small shamrock cookie cutter in the middle of each cookie and sprinkle a small amount of green sugar inside cutter to form shamrocks. Don’t press down on the cutter.
10. Bake in preheated oven for about 12-15 minutes or until the cookies are golden brown around edges. Cool.
Makes about 36 cookies
If your gluten-free flour mix DOES NOT contain xanthan gum or guar gum add 1/4 teaspoon of your favorite gum to this recipe.
Author Information: Teri Gruss, MS About.com Guide to Gluten-Free Cooking
Teri was diagnosed with gluten intolerance after decades of symptoms that culminated in malabsorption syndrome. Teri has written numerous health and nutrition articles for the popular website naturalnews.com and was a founding member and moderator of nutritioncircle.org, a nutrition forum for healthcare professionals and students. She is a member of the American Dietetic Association and supports the non-profit organization Gluten Intolerance Group (GIG) of North America as a member.