This fragrant banana bread makes a complete breakfast that can be eaten on-the-go. Always a welcome treat, serve it for a snack or dress it up with icing for dessert. Bread provides potassium, magnesium, zinc, vitamin B6, vitamin A, and that elusive riboflavin.
- 1 cup white rice flour
- 1/3 cup brown rice flour
- 1/4 cup tapioca starch or cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons gluten-free baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/3 cup fructose (or honey)
- 1/4 cup unrefined oil (canola, olive or coconut oil)
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon gluten-free vanilla
- 1/2 cup apple juice or water (need to add 2 tablespoons fructose)
- 2/3 cup mashed bananas
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
2 small loaf pans.
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
In a medium bowl combine rice flours, tapioca starch or cornstarch, salt, baking powder, baking soda, xanthan gum and cinnamon. Set aside.
In mixer bowl beat oil and fructose (or honey) until creamy. Add egg and vanilla. Beat one more minute, then beat in mashed bananas.
Add dry mixture to egg mixture in mixing bow, then add apple juice or water. Lightly mix with a wooden spoon. Do not beat — mixture does not need to be smooth. Stir in nuts if desired.
Turn into 2 small oblong loaf pans. Grease and dust the pans with rice flour, unless using non-stick pans. Bake 20 minutes or until toothpick inserted into center comes out clean.