Irresistably satisfying and always welcome! Antioxidant applesauce and raisins, fiber laden rice bran, cinnamon, and fresh eggs enrich a rice flour base in this classic muffin. Our nutritious version is moist with great aroma and keeps well.
- 1/2 cup brown rice flour
- 1/2 cup white rice flour
- 1/4 cup rice bran
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 2 tsp. gluten-free baking powder
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup fructose
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup milk, milk substitute, or water
- 1/3 cup fresh cooking oil (cold pressed, not refined) such as safflower, corn or olive.
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- 1/2 cup raisins, soaked in hot water for 5 minutes to plump
- 1/2 cup broken walnuts (optional)
A standard muffin pan for 12. Paper liners for the cups are optional but make clean-up easier. A hand mixer is optional.
- Heat oven to 400 degrees.
- In a large bowl, measure all dry ingredients (flours, bran, fructose, salt, baking powder, and cinnamon).
- Blend thoroughly with a small wire whip or spoon and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine eggs, oil, applesauce, and the 1/2 cup of liquid (milk, milk substitute, or water).
- Add wet mixture to the dry ingredients. Lightly mix until all ingredients are blended. Be careful not to over beat.
- Add raisins and walnuts, if using.
- Let the batter rest 3 minutes while putting paper liners in muffin pan cups, if you wish to use them. Otherwise very lightly grease the cups.
- Fill the muffin cups 2/3 full and place in oven to bake for 20 to 25 minutes just until tops look dry and spring back.