Every year at Christmas time I visit my mom in Arizona to enjoy some wholesome family time. The weather is wonderful at that time of year and it is a nice escape from the daily grind. Visiting Arizona also means a trip to Sprouts Farmers Market and the Gluten Free Country Store to scope out gluten-free products not yet available on the East coast.
Here is what I found:
- Cadia - offers a line of rice pastas made with brown rice, rice bran, and water. This pasta is manufactured in a dedicated gluten-free facility.
- Northern Chef - Lightly Coated Shrimp that is full cooked and ready for the oven. Cornstarch is used for the coating and the product is free of dairy, but it does contain egg whites. This appears to be their only gluten-free product and many of their other products contain gluten.
- S’Better Farms - has added Beef and Vegetarian Tamales to its line of certified gluten-free products. All of their products are kosher, halal, natural, and antibiotic free.
- Storehouse Foods - offers a line of instant soups and entrees that can be prepared by adding hot water directly into the package. I haven’t tried any of these products, but they look perfect for travel.
- The Artisan Bistro - has added a line of Bistro Bakes in five flavors: Cheddar Beef Bake, Turkey Cheddar Bake, Wild Albacore Tuna Bake, Chicken Parmesan Bake, and Wild Alaskan Salmon Bake. These products are no longer certified by GFCO.
- The Natural Hapa - sells a line of sticky rice meals wrapped in bamboo leaves called Bamboo Bundle. These meals come in four flavors: Vegetable Curry with Sticky Rice, Kung Pao Tofu with Sticky Rice, Lentils with Brown Sticky Rice, and Lentils with Brown Sticky Rice.
I am heading to Expo West next week and I am absolutely giddy to discover/sample new and creative gluten-free/paleo products. Watch my Twitter feed to see what I find!
Author Information: Jennifer D. Harris, Atlanta, GA
Jennifer D. Harris, http://www.jenniferglutenfreeingeorgia.blogspot.com
Atlanta Gluten-Free Examiner
Program Chair, Atlanta Metro CeliacsTwitter@jenniferGFinGA