First I would like to apologize for being MIA the last month or so. A lot has been going on with the move, no working stove, and no internet for a while…but all is fixed. I am working on getting settled (still), and trying to organize life before school begins. Now on to the good stuff…
37 Cooks is at it again with another challenge. This challenge is with a company that I happen to love very much, Tropical Traditions. I love their coconut flour and oil very much and use it often, but sadly not often enough. I am working on trying to incorporate more of these great products into my CCGF recipes. Tropical Traditions products are all organic and Non-GMO! You can read more about Tropical Traditions and all of their great products on their website.
I was so torn on which item to choose for this challenge. We were given the option between: Coconut Oil, Coconut Cream Concentrate, Coconut Flour, or Shredded Coconut. Originally I decided that I would go with the oil, but sill me realized I already had that, the flour, and the shredded coconut so I went with the concentrate instead. It took me a while to think of what to make and then one day it hit me…I was going to recreate one of my favorite candy bars, the almond joy! Instead of making actual bars I made them into little cups (think peanut butter cups). Simple recipe, simple ingredients, but oh so delicious! I love that you can so easily recreate your favorite store bough treats and control what goes into them. These are gluten-free of course, but can easily be vegan and dairy free as well but substituting a vegan and dairy free chocolate.
To make these I used a mini muffin tin and lined it with paper liners. I’m a fan of small things, especially sweets. I like them to be one or two bites – this helps me control portion sizes. You however, can make 8 of them in the larger muffin/cupcake pans instead.
Coconut Almond Cups – Makes 16
- 1/2 Cup Unsweetened Shredded Coconut – Tropical Traditions
- 1/2 Cup Coconut Cream Concentrate (well mixed) – Tropical Traditions
- 2 Tablespoons Organic Powdered Sugar - Wholesome Sweeteners
- 16 Raw, Organic Almonds
- 8 oz Organic Dark Chocolate – chopped (you can substitute vegan/dairy free to make this suitable for your dietary restrictions)
- 1/4 Teaspoon Coconut Oil – Tropical Traditions
- 16 Mini muffin/cupcake liners to line the muffin/cupcake pan
Method of Preparation:
- Gather all ingredients and equipment.
- Line 16 cups in the mini muffin/cupcake pan with paper liners and set aside.
- In a small bowl add the unsweetened coconut, coconut cream concentrate, and powdered sugar.
- Mix well and set aside. If not moist enough add a little more of the coconut cream concentrate or coconut cream that has risen to the top of the jar.
- Add dark chocolate and coconut oil to a double boiler (or in the microwave – be sure to watch carefully). Continue to stir often until fully melted.
- Using a teaspoon, scoop out coconut mixture and roll into balls – you should yield 16 balls.
- Place on a silpat or plastic cutting board and top with one almond. Slightly press down.
- Once the chocolate has melted, using a teaspoon scoop one teaspoon into each prepared mini muffin cup.
- Next, add one ball of coconut mixture with almond to each muffin cup and slightly press down until the chocolate starts to come up around the sides of the coconut ball.
- Top each with another teaspoon of melted chocolate so all of the coconut mixture is covered.
- Place tray in the freezer or refrigerator until firm.
- Serve and enjoy!
Author Information: Jenny Manseau – Gluten Free Blogger.
Location: Portsmouth, RI
Guilt-Free Gluten-Free Desserts: Enjoy The Best of Both Worlds! (gluten free everyday cookbook, gluten free products, gluten free books, gluten free diet plan, celiac disease)
5 total customer reviews...
The Blender Girl: Super-Easy, Super-Healthy Meals, Snacks, Desserts, and Drinks--100 Gluten-Free, Vegan Recipes!
113 total customer reviews...
The Paleo Chocolate Lovers' Cookbook: 80 Gluten-Free Treats for Breakfast & Dessert
51 total customer reviews...
Gluten Free: Dessert Recipes - 40 delicious recipes (gluten free dessert cookbook, gluten free cake, gluten free snacks, gluten free cookies, gluten free treats)
total customer reviews...
Decadent Gluten-Free Vegan Baking: Delicious, Gluten-, Egg- and Dairy-Free Treats and Sweets
total customer reviews...