I would like to first thank Bob’s Red Mill for making this possible. Their products are awesome in taste and quality, and that is why I am truly a fan! I never would have thought that I could make absolutely the best cake donuts both gluten free and vegan before this. I mean, let’s be honest – there is not a lot of vegan and gluten free online. You search online and you find gluten free donuts – with eggs. You find vegan donuts – with wheat. But where are all of the vegan and gluten free donuts? Or as I typically spell them, “doughnuts”?
Well, you do not have to look any further. Here are some of the best donuts you will find ever. Especially when they are warm and come freshly out of the oven!
These cinnamon sugar donuts make the house smell absolutely amazing too… warm tea or carob cocoa with these anyone?
Just look at these… perfection!
Here is what you will need to do in order to make these insanely delicious donuts.
I used Bob’s Red Mill (BRM) for all of my baking.
Ingredients for cake donut:
3/4 cup and 1 tbsp BRM brown rice flour
1/2 cup and 1 tbsp BRM potato starch
3 tbsp BRM tapioca starch
1/4 cup BRM millet or sorghum flour
1 cup and 1 tbsp cane sugar
1 1/4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp BRM guar gum
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/3 cup oil
5 1/2 tbsp apple puree, or sauce
3 tbsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup + 1 tbsp warm dairy free milk + 1/2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
Cinnamon-Brown Sugar Topping:
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 tbsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
Yields 12 donuts, about 150 calories in each.
1. Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.
2. Meanwhile, prepare your batter, by mixing all ingredients for cake donut in a large mixing bowl.
3. Start by mixing your flours, then adding in your liquids.
4. Mix well, but do not over mix.
5. Once the batter is made (it should not be too thick or thin), prepare a donut pan by spraying canola oil into each donut section of the pan, and add 2 1/2 tbsp of donut batter into each section carefully.
6. Place donuts in the oven to bake for no more than 15-18 minutes.
7. Remove from the oven, and allow them to cool, in the donut pan for at least 5 minutes, while you prepare the cinnamon brown sugar topping.
8. The cinnamon brown sugar topping can be made simply by mixing together in a glass bowl the required ingredients thoroughly.
9. Finally, after 5 minutes of the donuts standing, remove them carefully from the donut pan, and immediately start placing each in the glass bowl with the cinnamon brown sugar, and using your hands to place the cinnamon brown sugar mix on.
10. Once you are done, you can store these in the refrigerator for a few days, or freeze them.
Enjoy. And if you like them, why not share!
Author Information: Bella McKenzie
Bella McKenzie is a gluten free and vegetarian foodie specializing in both attractive and delicious modern cuisine. Her love for flavorful sweet and savory food, photography, and media are her driving forces behind her blog SweetnSavoryLife.com. You can follow Bella, and enjoy her journey sharing gluten free and vegan recipes on Twitter, Facebook, Pinterest, Twitter and Instagram.
The links you will need are: