Fall is here! My favorite time of year. At school we have a Starbucks on each campus I see everyone enjoying the pumpkin muffins, pumpkin coffees etc. and it drives me crazy that I can just run in and grab one of those delicious looking muffins with the cream cheese on them…you know the ones I’m talking about!
I am always stuck for breakfast ideas during the week because I’m usually up by 4am and out of the house by 5 so making a big breakfast or anything just doesn’t work for me. I needed something new, something besides my lovely quinoa muffins, which are delicious but its time to mix it up a bit.
So here is my attempt at those beautiful looking pumpkin muffins that you are seeing out right now – we should all be able to enjoy the lovely tastes of the fall, gluten-free or not. I gave one of these to a co-worker and she said you can’t tell they are gluten-free so I’m going to say that this was a success! These are super moist and delicious. I think it has just the right amount of spice to it.
Spiced Pumpkin Muffins with Maple Agave Cream Cheese Filling
1 Cup Brown Rice Flour (Bob’s Red Mill)
1/3 Cup Potato Starch (Bob’s Red Mill)
2 Tablespoons plus 2 Teaspoons of Tapioca Starch (Bob’s Red Mill)
1/2 Teaspoon Baking Powder
1 Teaspoon Baking Soda
3/4 Teaspoon Xanthan Gum
1 1/2 Teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
1/2 Teaspoon Ground Ginger
3/4 Teaspoon Allspice
1/2 Teaspoon fine Sea Salt
2 Large Eggs
3/4 Cup Sugar (Wholesome Sweeteners)
1/2 Canola Oil
1/4 Cup Almond or Soy Milk
1 Cup Pureed Pumpkin (Fresh or Canned – not the pumpkin pie filling if you use can)
4 Ounces 1/3 Fat Cream Cheese – room temperature
1/4 Cup Powdered Sugar (Wholesome Sweeteners)
1 Tablespoon Maple Agave Nectar (Wholesome Sweeteners)
Method of Prep:
- Preheat oven to 350•
- Line a cupcake pan or muffin pan with liners and set aside
- In a bowl add brown rice flour, potato starch, tapioca starch, baking powder, baking soda, xanthan gum, cinnamon, ginger, allspice, and salt – mix until well combined.
- In another bowl add the Sugar and Eggs and mix until smooth.
- Add the oil, milk, and pumpkin puree – mix until very smooth.
- Add the dry ingredients into the wet slowly and mix until fully blended.
- Fill each muffin liner about 3/4 of the way with the pumpkin mixture, set aside.
- In a stand mixer (or small bowl and use an electric hand mixer) add the cream cheese and beat until smooth – about 1 minute.
- Add in the powdered sugar and beat well.
- Finish by adding the maple agave nectar and beat on medium speed for 30 seconds.
- Scoop about 1 tablespoon of the cream cheese mixture into the center of each muffin tin – you can leave it as it is, or press them down a bit, or even add a little bit more pumpkin over the cream cheese. Either way you do it, its delicious!
- Bake for 25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out of the center with just a few crumbs on it.
- Cool for 5 minutes in the tin then transfer to a cooling rack to finish cooling.
- Store in the refrigerator!
—————————- Author Information: Jenny Manseau – Gluten Free Blogger. Location: Portsmouth, RI Website: www.creativecookinggf.com Facebook: www.facebook.com/creativecookinggf Twitter: www.twitter.com/creatively_gf E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org