The original Morning Glory muffin recipe is said to have originated on Nantucket Island, the creation of Chef Pam McKinstry. I can't think of a better gluten-free breakfast and snack muffin than Morning Glory muffins with well over a quart of healthy fruits, carrots and nuts added. And these fragrant cinnamon spiced muffins are gluten and dairy free.
This recipe is a gluten-free adaptation of "The Original Morning Glory Muffins" which appears in The Earthbound Farm Organics Cookbook - Food to Live By by Myra Goodman with Linda Holland and Pamela McKinstry.
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 55 minutes
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 2 1/4 cups gluten-free all purpose flour mix (if your mix contains xanthan gum or guar gum don't add the additional 1 teaspoon gum to the recipe)
- 1 teaspoon guar gum OR xanthan gum
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups grated carrots (about 4 large carrots)
- 1 large peeled and shredded apple
- 8 ounces drained, crushed pineapple
- 3/4 cups raisins
- 1/2 cup shredded, sweetened coconut
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped walnuts or pecans
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup light olive oil OR canola oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
—————- Author Information: Teri Gruss, MS About.com Guide to Gluten-Free Cooking Teri was diagnosed with gluten intolerance after decades of symptoms that culminated in malabsorption syndrome. Teri has written numerous health and nutrition articles for the popular website naturalnews.com and was a founding member and moderator of nutritioncircle.org, a nutrition forum for healthcare professionals and students. She is a member of the American Dietetic Association and supports the non-profit organization Gluten Intolerance Group (GIG) of North America as a member. Email Teri Gruss, MS here.