Guess what I was doing the other day? Browsing Twitter! Imagine that? I was instantly drawn to these Easy Cinnamon Muffins that Jo-Lynne shared. I knew that Jon would love them, so I pre-heated my oven and got down to work.
Jo-Lynne’s recipe is not gluten-free, so I converted it to be gluten-free using Gluten-Free Bisquick. Since the GF Bisquick already has leavening & salt in it, I omitted the baking powder & salt in her recipe. Hindsight says that this may have not been the wisest choice, but the end result was fantastic, so I am not too worried about it. Adding the baking powder may have made these a little more muffin-like, as they resemble biscuits, hence the name.
Cinnamon Sugar Biscuits
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup almond milk (I used Trader Joe’s Vanilla Almond Milk)
- 1 1/2 cups GF Bisquick
- 1/3 cup light olive or vegetable oil
Topping (this made a lot, so consider cutting in half or saving the mixture for future use)
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 cup sugar
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees and line muffin pan with muffin liners.
2. Beat egg in mixing bowl and then add milk & blend.
3. Add GF Bisquick and mix well.
4. Add in oil last and stir well to combine. Batter will be thick; consistency is between cookie dough & muffin batter.
5. Fill muffin tins 2/3 full and top generously with cinnamon/sugar topping. I also added a sprinkle of colored sugar.
6. Bake for 15-18 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean. To say that these were a success is an understatement; Jon inhaled them and wants another batch –STAT! I asked him if they were more like coffee cake or a biscuit and he said biscuit, which is what I thought as well. These are a great afternoon snack with a cup of coffee, tea or hot chocolate!