What makes this gluten-free french toast recipe so delicious is gluten-free breakfast bread, a moist, slightly sweet and flavorful high protein egg bread.
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 15 minutes
- 8 slices of your favorite gluten-free bread
- 4 beaten eggs
- 1/2 – 3/4 cup milk OR dairy free substitute (I use organic canned coconut milk)
- 1 teaspoon sugar or honey
- Pinch salt (optional)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Canola oil for frying
- 1 tablespoon GF powdered sugar for dusting
- Combine eggs, milk or dairy substitute, sugar, salt and vanilla in a shallow bowl and whisk until thoroughly blended.
- Dip slices of homemade breakfast bread in the egg mixture. Allow both sides of bread to soak up as much egg mixture as it will hold (like a sponge!).
- Heat oil on medium high in a large, heavy skillet and fry coated bread slices. When golden brown, flip and cook second side until golden brown.
- Serve with butter and a dusting of powdered sugar.
Reminder: Always make sure your work surfaces, utensils, pans and tools are free of gluten. Always read product labels. Manufacturers can change product formulations without notice. When in doubt, do not buy or use a product before contacting the manufacturer for verification that the product is free of gluten.
Author Information: Teri Gruss, MS
About.com Guide to Gluten-Free Cooking
Teri was diagnosed with gluten intolerance after decades of symptoms that culminated in malabsorption syndrome. Teri has written numerous health and nutrition articles for the popular website naturalnews.com and was a founding member and moderator of nutritioncircle.org, a nutrition forum for healthcare professionals and students. She is a member of the American Dietetic Association and supports the non-profit organization Gluten Intolerance Group (GIG) of North America as a member.
Email Teri Gruss, MS here.