John Libonati

Do Symptoms Worsen When You Eat Gluten After Being Gluten-Free?

by John Libonati on April 25th, 2012

Facebook Gluten Free WorksThe body goes through changes when people adopt a gluten-free diet. Many find their health problems melt away. But what about when they accidentally ingest gluten? Gluten Free Works wanted to find out whether folks discover their symptoms change in intensity after they have been gluten-free for awhile, so we posed the following question on our Facebook page...

Do you notice when you accidentally eat gluten that your symptoms are WORSE now that you have been gluten-free for awhile? Or, are they not as bad??

Here are their answers...

• Jake Gio DeZerga worse

• Ellen Jackson Rogers way worse!!!!

• Shellie Bourbeau Definitely worse

• Sondra Pool Worse

Alison Massey Jones Way way worse now! I feel like I'm going to die if I have gluten.....that alone makes me ultra vigilant

Monday at 3:45pm via mobile ·  ·  3
    • Karen Pieh Mahoney way way way worse

• Brandon Moore Definitely worse!

• Michelle Terril Way, way worse!! It makes me be that much more careful now because nothing is worth that much pain/agony.

• Linda Orozco Much much worse!

Monday at 3:48pm via mobile ·
    • Teresa Taylor-Sousa Really bad. I end up suffering from fibromyalgia flareup.

• Linda Nelson absolutely. now a small amt can have me doubled over in pain within 1/2 hr. it is almost like when we eat it all the time we build up some weird tolerance but when we omit it, even for a little while, our body relaxes and starts function normally. then add it back in and bang, pain!

Monday at 3:51pm ·  ·  3
    • Claire McLean oh that is intersting - i have been wheat/gf free for 4 weeks now and last thursday had something that i think may have had something in it and woah was the reaction bad! much much worse from wheni was walking around eating hte stuff unaware...

Christie Bessinger Even a tiny crumb makes me bloat BIG time now! Crazy.. I guess our immune systems work that way...

• Amy Meacham Bardon Way way way much worse!

Monday at 3:57pm via mobile ·

Jenny Labrozzi I think u also get used to feeling bad and when u don't anymore it is harder to handle because u have something to compare it to now. When I get sick I am always shocked that I am still alive after being like that in my previous life.

Monday at 4:01pm via mobile ·  ·  3
    • Angela Langdon Worse

• Jeanette Ramos They r much worse. But I think is that I am getting used to feeling good, so now I could feel the difference

• Ana Dulce Martinez Teresa my family isn't gluten free but I am I make them their food and I have my gf food I eat and when I go out to eat I order gf meals my health is more important I don't make them eat gf and they don't make me eat gluten simple as that.

Monday at 4:03pm via mobile ·  ·  2

Aimee Beman Much worse! And I have new symptoms like horrible arthritis flare-ups and sleeplessness when I have any gluten.

Monday at 4:06pm via mobile ·
    • Jeanette Ramos Even my little ones feel the difference. My 8 year old son with autism feels so much better without gluten.. he is always checking labels and he tells people who want to feed him that he cannot eat gluten.

Monday at 4:06pm ·  ·  3
    • Lori Johnson Barbour Much worse, and last longer :(

• Jann Breslin Considering everyone describing WORSE symptoms if eating gluten after being GF, I wondering if this means we shouldn't be going COMPLETELY GF... Hmnnn...??..

• Jennifer Wilson Worse!!!

Monday at 4:14pm via mobile ·
    • Gina Klauba Absolutely way worse. From way less.

Monday at 4:35pm via mobile ·
    • Amanda Lowden Worse

Monday at 4:45pm via mobile ·
    • Laurel Faye I keep separate sections of my kitchen, fridge, freezer, oven, kitchen/cookware designated GF and this makes my life much better! I NEVER choose to eat gluten. If I get exposed to small amounts accidentally, the same symptoms that used to rule and limit my life return, they seem sudden, more severe and long-lasting in contrast to how much healthier I am GF! The upside is that each time, I become more aware of how much gluten really damages my system. The damage affects my ability to digest food for much longer time than I used to notice when I was used to being sick all of the time.

Monday at 4:45pm ·  ·  1

Natalyn Wallin Awful!!!!

Monday at 4:46pm via mobile ·
    • Linda Habay I am glad I am not the only with worsen issues when I get small amounts in me. My husband noticed it before o realize what was going. Thank God for a supported husband. We eats whatever I cooks and looks for restaurants that are safe for me. As are even thinking his stomach pain may xus because cutting a lot of gluten out of his diet too

Monday at 5:10pm via mobile ·
    • Liane DeZur Morris Omg way worse.

Monday at 5:56pm via mobile ·
    • Monica Vogt von Thaden WORSE!!!!!!!!! so much worse!!!!!! glad to know I'm not alone, thanks so much for the feedback!!!

• Mary Ann Trujillo Bosch Worse an I get very angry when I get the corn grain in my food too.

Monday at 6:55pm via mobile ·
    • Lorraine Groses Daddario I think they are worse although it may be that I am noticingthem more now that I feel so much better all the time.

Nutrimom- Food Allergy Liason Worse

• Tara Gandy Faulk They are far worse than when I was eating gluten all the time!!! It only takes a small amount as well to set things off.

Monday at 9:13pm via mobile ·
    • Jean Ruddell If you feel bad all the time, then eat some you don't feel worse. But if you feel good, then eat gluten it is like going from zero to 1000 on the scale of feeling bad. The degree of change is just so much greater. Stay feeling well. Find the gluten free version of what you like, or make one and sell it.

Monday at 9:41pm via mobile ·  ·  1

Patricia Mayhew Russell Worse!! SO MUCH worse!

What about you? Are YOUR symptoms worse when you ingest gluten now that you have been gluten-free? Why?

Leave your comments below!

—————— Author Information: John Libonati, Philadelphia, PA Publisher, Glutenfreeworks.com. Editor & Publisher, Recognizing Celiac Disease. John can be reached by e-mail here.

[Advertisements]

Tags: , , ,

19 Responses to “Do Symptoms Worsen When You Eat Gluten After Being Gluten-Free?”

1. Dena says:

I have been 100% gluten free for 4 weeks now. Last night I went to a birthday party and decided to throw caution into the wind and I indulged on pizza and cake. This morning I woke up with eyes so swollen I looked like an alien. My eyes were weeping and yellow. Also, I Gained 5 lbs over night (Water weight?). I know that I am affected MUCH more dramatically now than before because when I are gluten with meals in the past my eyes didn’t look extremely swollen like this.

2. Definitely worse, only been fully gluten free for a little over a month now, as well as soy and casein free. Have accidentally ingested gluten once and soy once both times ended up in excruciating pain within 30 minutes. Totally not worth eating anything I used to crave!

3. Deborah says:

I have gluten ataxia as well as digestive symptoms. The tiniest amount of gluten now sends me to bed for days with severe nerve pain and the inability to remain upright. I never say food others prepare and now only eat foods prepared in certified gluten free facilities. Had to give up oats as even the certified oats were causing symptoms.

4. Tracy Gallup says:

I agree in the first few years after being GF when I was accidentally “glutened” I felt so much worse. Now after 4.5 years, the symptoms come on faster but are no where near as intense. I am praying this means my gut is healing. I am able to touch Gluten foods and then immediately wash hands with minimal itching, before I refused to eat form a table that held and foods known to contain gluten.

5. Debbie says:

I was diagnosed with Celiac in 2007, and have been gluten free since then. If I accidently ingest gluten, I usually start with abdominal pain and frequent trips to the bathroom for about 12-24 hours. Not fun!

6. Jennifer says:

My son is gluten intolerant. We went out of town after he’d been gf for about 6 weeks. He ate airplane peanuts (my bad, the label said wheat in the ingredients), which he didn’t know had gluten, and a small snack sized Twizzler. That night, he was throwing up. Any time he has even small amounts of gluten he gets diarrhea. So, I would say his symptoms are way worse when he has gluten.

7. Laurie says:

It has been a crazy journey being gluten free. I have been gluten free for a year and a half. Been sick and diagnosed with various things which I now know many were caused from gluten. Now if I accidentally injest even traces of gluten my symptom come on with a vengeance. The strange thing is my IBS and IC which were always huge are not the biggest of problems. The severe leg pains, muscle cramps, and headaches among other things trump IBC and IC. So yes symptoms are worse after going gluten free just different.

8. Sandy says:

I have been gf for almost a year. Any gluten now sends my whole digestive system in a tailspin with terrible bloating, diarrhea and horrific stomach pain for a couple of days. It’s just not worth it !!! I have had daily migraines for 14 years and I am happy to say that I am now off of all the equally debilitating medications I was on. I am finally me again! I’m not totally migraine free, but they are so much better and I have a life again! !!

9. Sarah says:

I’ve only been gluten free for a few weeks. I’m not necessarily doing it because I’m allergic but I’m following the paleo diet and it just happens to be gluten free. Today I cheated big time and had a burrito. Within 15 minutes my stomach was killing me. Aching and cramping. Now an hour and half later my stomach is still hurting. I’m still not sure if I’m allergic to gluten or if my body is freaking out on this carb overload. But it’s TERRIBLE.

10. Michaela says:

I got sick as a dog when I accidentally ate gluten after being GF for over 5 months. Stomach cramping, bloating, and diarrhea

11. SueinNJ says:

Before going gluten free, I had severe headaches, neck and back pain. All that is gone!!!! BUT, now, when I cheat, I get MAJOR bathroom issues!!!!! Is that “normal”?

12. Jon says:

I am so glad I found this site. I have been gluten free for almost two months. It is the best thing I have ever done. I have had bits here and there of wheat, but almost none. Last night, however, my daughter made a loaf of banana bread. Dad, of course, is obligated to eat some; not one, not two, but three slices. Well, last night I fell asleep quick, but woke up about an hour later with anxiety, rapid heart beat, and honestly, feeling like trip to the ER might be in order. It was as if every system was out of whack. I went to sleep and had very weird dreams and when I woke, could still feel many of the same effects, but less severe. I flooded my system with water, went for a long walk, and fasted most of the day. It almost 4:00pm and I do feel almost 100%; not quite, but close. I started searching the web to see if there was a connection between the eating of the bread and my symptoms. I am so glad I found this site as I got my answer. Honestly, I am shocked at the effects it had on my body. And to think my body was so use to gluten that about my only symptoms prior to going gluten free was upset stomach and bloating feeling.

• Robena says:

Jon,
      I have had the same weird symptoms that you describe. I eat GF and have for almost 10 years now, but also get these symptoms from eating some other foods. I just had a Alcat food intolerance test done and found there is 38 different foods that my body doesn’t like. No wonder I have felt very strange, especially at night, waking with the same symptoms that you describe. Frankly, until reading your post, I thought I was crazy. At least if I am, now I know there is two of us out here. :):):)

13. kathie says:

I have just recently been GF and noticing that I feel so much better and that I do not hurt, it is an amazing new journey.. but today I accidently ate a few meatballs with my brown rice pasta not even looking at the meatball bag and within an hour felt bloated, gassy and sick to my stomach with strange bowel movement. I could not figure out what it was that I could of eaten then I realized I ate the meatballs, not “my” meatballs but kirkland’s and read ingredients, wheat flour, enriched white bread crumbs. etc, NEVER AGAIN!!

14. Mary says:

I’ve been gf since the beginning of summer and yes, I just don’t feel as happy and healthy if I eat gluten.

15. Michael says:

Christie made the most insightful comment, regarding our immune systems. When we with celiac exclude gluten, our immune systems gather strength, become hypervigilant, and can be much more destructive. Additional organs and body systems can become targets of your immune system, if you ingest gluten after being gluten-free for a time. As celiac chef Sueson Vess answered the question by someone newly diagnosed, “Do people on this diet cheat?”, “If you cheat after being completely gluten-free for 6 months or more, you will know why we don’t.”

16. Gayle says:

I read the book, Dangerous Grains and am now putting together my puzzle pieces. Three times now when a restaurant did me wrong, I got bloating within 30 mins., then over next 2 days got sacral ileitus, and mouth sores. The last time this happened my head did not feel normal.

17. I was asymptomatic before going GF but if I eat wheat now I certainly notice symptoms – both minor issues I just always ‘lived’ with as well as actual acute symptoms. Cross contamination doesn’t seem to overtly bother me but I still try to minimize it do to any unseen consequences.

18. Tanya says:

I have Celiac. My worst symptoms were when my villi were damaged. I was glutened for the first time in a year or so last month. Had very mild symptoms that resolved in two-three days. I didn’t like it and won’t be eating at restaurants again for a long time.