A good gluten free lasagna recipe can be challenging for gluten free cooks because several of the usual ingredients may contain gluten. Italian sausage, processed marinara or tomato sauce and packaged seasonings may contain gluten as an additive. And of course, the majority of lasagna noodle products are made from wheat flour.This recipe is an adaptation of a Tyler Florence recipe called “Drop-Dead Lasagna” featured in his book Tyler Florence’s Real Kitchen. Serve this rich, herb-laden gluten free version of lasagna to anyone, anytime, anywhere and comments will include “This is the best lasagna I have ever had!”
Prep Time: 45 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour
Total Time: 1 hour, 45 minutes
- 2- 10 ounce boxes of gluten free lasagna noodles (See tips)
- 1 cup finely chopped red onions
- 4 finely minced cloves garlic
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 pounds lean ground beef
- 2 tablespoons gluten free Italian seasoning blend
- 1 tablespoon coarsely ground fennel seeds
- 2- 15 ounce cans gluten free pizza or marinara sauce (See tips)
- ½ pound soft goat cheese
- 1 pound ricotta cheese
- ½ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 lightly beaten eggs
- ½ cup finely chopped fresh basil
- ¼ cup finely chopped fresh Italian parsley
- ¼ cup finely chopped fresh oregano leaves
- 1 pound shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 pound shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- Fill a large stockpot 2/3rds full with cold water. Add 1 teaspoon of salt and 1 tablespoon of olive oil, cover with a lid and bring to a rolling boil. Add 14 gluten free lasagna noodles and boil for 13-14 minutes. (Do not overcook the noodles. They will continue to cook once the lasagna is baked in the oven). Drain and rinse the noodles in cold water. Pour 1 tablespoon of olive oil on the noodles and coat. This will prevent the noodles from sticking together as they cool.
- Add onions, garlic and 3 tablespoons of olive oil to a large skillet. Saute for two minutes. Add the ground beef, 1 teaspoon salt and brown over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until thoroughly cooked. Pour the canned pizza sauce over the beef mixture, add 1 tablespoon of the Italian seasonings and all of the fennel, stir to mix and simmer for 10 minutes. Stir occasionally to prevent burning.
- In a medium size mixing bowl, blend goat cheese, ricotta cheese, parmesan cheese, eggs, fresh basil, Italian parsley, fresh oregano, 1 teaspoon salt and fresh cracked pepper.
- Assemble lasagna: Spread 1 cup of the meat sauce mixture in the bottom of the baking dish. Overlap the edges of 4 lasagna noodles on top of the sauce. Evenly spread 1 cup of meat sauce over the noodles. Spread 1 cup of the cheese/herb mixture over meat sauce. Evenly sprinkle about 2 cups of shredded cheeses over this layer. Repeat layers (lasagna noodles/meat sauce/ cheese herb mixture/shredded cheese). Overlap 4 lasagna noodles on top, spread evenly with remaining meat sauce and top with remaining shredded cheese. Sprinkle remaining 1 tablespoon of Italian herb blend evenly over the shredded cheese. Bake for 1 hour or until golden brown on top. Let rest for 15 minutes before serving.
Tips: Products used in this recipe: