Here are two delicious and easy-to-make gluten-free stuffing and crouton recipes that are sure to come in handy for your Thanksgiving.
Gluten Free Stuffing
2 teaspoons olive or vegetable oil
1 medium onion, diced
2 carrots, diced
2 celery ribs, diced
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1 teaspoon dried rosemary
1 teaspoon dried Sage or poultry seasoning
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 teaspoon salt
1-2 garlic cloves, chopped
1/2 cup water
3-4 cups gluten free croutons (see below)
2-3 cups gf broth (I prefer chicken)
1/2 cup nuts, lightly toasted and chopped
2 Italian sausages, cooked and crumbled (check ingredients)
1/2 cup dried fruit like cranberry or raisins
- Heat olive oil in pot. Add onions, carrots, celery, thyme, rosemary, sage and pepper. Without stirring too often, allow to cook until the carrot is softened and the onions are golden. Add a little bit of salt if veggies seem dry.
- Once veggies are golden and softened, add garlic and salt. Cook for 1 minute. Add water and cook for 3-5 minutes or until most of it is evaporated.
- Remove from pot and place in large mixing bowl. Cool for 5 minutes.
- Place all remaining ingredients except broth in the large bowl. Mix well. Add broth, 1 cup at a time until the stuffing is moist.
- Place in a greased baking dish. Bake at 375F until the top is lightly browned and crusty.
Gluten Free Croutons
1 – 1 ½ loaves of gf bread, cut into cubes
About 2-3 Tablespoons olive oil
Salt, pepper, oregano and thyme (1/4 – 1/2 tsp each)
Toss bread with olive oil and seasonings. Bake in a 400F oven until lightly browned and crisp. Cool.
---------------------- Author Information: Amy Fothergill, San Francisco, CA Amy Fothergill is the mother of two and owner of The Family Chef. She teaches cooking classes and provides consultations. She blends her culinary techniques with delicious ingredients to create gluten free, healthy dishes that the whole family enjoys. Website: http://www.amythefamilychef.com Blog: http://thefamilychef.blogspot.com (a food blog which is a blend of gluten free and regular recipes) Email: Amy Fothergill Gluten-free recipes: http://www.examiner.com/x-13910-SF-GlutenFree-Food-Examiner