It's about that time of year! I always get so many questions from clients about which brands of what are safe, and so for the past 5 years I've put it all together to save you all the work!
Wishing you all a happy and healthy Thanksgiving,
This list was last updated on Nov 3rd, 2011. Please let me know if there are any broken links!
General turkey tips:
- Fresh, plain turkeys that are not stuffed are naturally gluten free
- All regular stuffed turkeys contain gluten, even if you don't eat the stuffing.
- Avoid the gravy packets, or check the packets very carefully.
Aaron's Best Shipped Kosher turkey, goose, duck, etc. WITH GF stuffings (buckwheat, quinoa or rice). Pricey, but wow! Here's their product list. Checked Oct 2011
Butterball 800-288-8372 http://www.butterball.com/
From the Butterball website Oct 26, 2011:
- Butterball product labels let consumers know whether any of the top eight allergens may be present in the product. For example, a label may read “contains wheat and dairy.” Specifically, gluten is not present naturally in turkey. Only two of our retail products currently contain gluten: Butterball® Frozen Italian Style Meatballs and Butterball® Frozen Stuffed Turkey. Our gravy has been reformulated to eliminate gluten, but certain gravy packets may still contain gluten; it will be listed on the ingredient statement. Give us a call or use the contact us form on this page if you’d like to check on a specific product.
(Cheryl's note: gluten is NOT an allergen, nor one of the top 8 allergens *sigh*. However, staff have confirmed that the turkeys are, indeed, gluten free. )
This just in! Some Butterball gravy packet are GF--As always, read carefully.
D'artagnan (800) 327-8246 "All of our raw products are Gluten free.." via email, October 2011
Empire Kosher Poultry 717-436-5921 Listing of allGF Products (accessed Oct 2011)
Esskay and Mash Hams 1800-638-7350 "Esskay and Mash hams gluten free." Via email, November 2011.
Per and email from HBH, "The Hams and Turkeys are all Gluten Free". Here is info on their other products.
- Do your hams or turkey breast contain glutens? "Our hams and turkey breasts DO NOT contain glutens ." (updated Oct 2011)
316 -683-4691 Honeysuckle White Turkeys are GF, but some of their other products have gluten. A list of products that DO have gluten here. All other products are GF, according to the manufacturer. (updated Nov 5 2010)
Hormel Foods 1-800-523-4635 Their Gluten-free list includes turkey products and ham, too. (updated Nov,2011)
Jennie-O 800-523-4635 Listing of all GF products (accessed Nov 11)
Manor House (Safeway brand) 877-723-3929
"The Safeway Brand Holiday Turkeys, fresh or frozen are Gluten Free." (per email correspondence, Oct 26 2011)
Perdue 800-473-7383 Are your products gluten free? "Yes. Many PERDUE® products are free of gluten. Perdue chickens, chicken parts and turkeys are all gluten-free. These are sold fresh, as well as frozen, and some are flavored with seasonings." Listing of all GF products. (accessed Nov, 2011)
Pilgrim's Pride 800-824-1159
Here is a list of GF products. Breaded products are not GF (updated Nov 5 2010)
800-724-0206 "All of our turkeys products are gluten free except our gravy, cranberry relish, and dressing " Confirmed via email Nov 2009
Shadybrook Farms 1-888-723-4468 The majority of Shady Brook Farms® products do not contain Gluten. However, the following list of products do contain Gluten: New listing of products (updated Nov, 2011)
Tofurky All Tofurky products contain gluten (updated Nov 3 2011)
Wellshire Farms (856) 769-8933
Wellshire Farms insures that products considered gluten-free contain less than 10ppm of gluten. Info on gluten and many other allergens for turkeys, hams and other products, too. Includes an in-depth description of the term gluten-free as they use it.(updated Nov 3 2011)
Trader Joe's and Whole Foods have gluten-free gravies.
* Disclaimer: This information is based on websites, email and telephone correspondence and is intended for informational purposes only and not as medical advice. Harris Whole Health is not responsible for any changes in ingredient lists, and always recommends double checking all labels.*
------------------------- Author Information: Cheryl Harris, MPH, RD, LD, Alexandria, VA, USA. Cheryl Harris, MPH, RD, LD, Registered Dietitian and Nutritionist. Her passion is teaching people to live and love a gluten-free diet in the Northern Virginia area. For more, seewww.harriswholehealth.com or follow on Twitter @cherylharrisrd