Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 25 minutes
- 1 1/2 cups canned light coconut milk OR milk
- 1 cup canned pumpkin puree (not pre-seasoned / sweetened pumpkin pie filling)
- 3 eggs
- 2 tablespoons light olive oil OR canola oil
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups gluten-free all purpose flour (preferably without added xanthan or guar gum)
- 4 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons gluten-free baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon guar gum OR xanthan gum (OMIT if you are using a GF all-purpose flour mix that contains xanthan or guar gum)
- Extra oil for cooking pancakes
- For Apple Pumpkin Gluten-Free Pancakes – 1 medium, cored, finely chopped apple
- For Pecan Pumpkin Gluten-Free Pancakes – 1 cup chopped pecans
- Plain Pumpkin Pancakes-Combine milk, pumpkin, eggs, oil, vinegar and vanilla in a medium mixing bowl and beat until smooth and creamy.In a separate medium mixing bowl combine gluten-free flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, spices, salt and xanthan OR guar gum. Whisk until thoroughly combined.Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and stir just until combined.
Pour about 1/2 teaspoon cooking oil in a heavy skillet and heat over medium high heat. Pour 1/4 cup pancake batter into preheated skillet and smooth into a circle with a spoon. Cook each side of pancake until golden, about 2-3 minutes per side. Add about 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon oil to preheated skillet before pouring batter into skillet for each pancake. Serve warm.
Yield- About 12 4-inch pancakes
- Gluten-Free Apple Pumpkin Pancakes-Core and finely chop one medium apple (no need to peel.) Spoon pancake batter into preheated, oiled skillet. Sprinkle about 1 tablespoon chopped apple on top of pancake- one side only. Flip and cook as for plain pancakes.
- Gluten-Free Pecan Pumpkin Pancakes-
Chop 1 cup of pecans. Spoon pancake batter into preheated, oiled skillet. Sprinkle about 1 tablespoon chopped pecans on top of pancake- one side only. Flip and cook as for plain pancakes.
Reminder: Always make sure your work surfaces, utensils, pans and tools are free of gluten. Always read product labels. Manufacturers can change product formulations without notice. When in doubt, do not buy or use a product before contacting the manufacturer for verification that the product is free of gluten.
Author Information: Teri Gruss, MS
About.com Guide to Gluten-Free Cooking
Teri was diagnosed with gluten intolerance after decades of symptoms that culminated in malabsorption syndrome. Teri has written numerous health and nutrition articles for the popular website naturalnews.com and was a founding member and moderator of nutritioncircle.org, a nutrition forum for healthcare professionals and students. She is a member of the American Dietetic Association and supports the non-profit organization Gluten Intolerance Group (GIG) of North America as a member.
Email Teri Gruss, MS here.