Make your own delicious, fresh gluten-free croutons and your soups and salads will thank you! A cardinal rule of gluten-free cooking- never throw away day-old gluten-free bread.
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 35 minutes
- 4 cups cubed gluten-free bread
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoon GF Trocomare® seasoned salt
- 1 teaspoon GF garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon GF onion powder
- Cube gluten-free into 1/2-inch cubes and place them in a large mixing bowl.
- Pour olive oil into a small bowl and add seasonings. Stir to mix.
- Pour seasoned olive oil over the bread cubes and stir to thoroughly coat bread.
- Line a large baking sheet pan with parchment paper and spread bread cubes in one, even layer on the pan.
- Bake for about one hour, or until the bread cubes are golden brown and dry.
- Turn off oven and leave croutons in oven for another 1/2 hour.
- Cool and eat, or store in an air-tight container.
Tips:Gluten free croutons store well in the freezer. Make a double batch for convenience!
Herbal breads make especially savory GF croutons. I used day-old Walnut Rosemary Gluten Free Artisan Bread to make the croutons pictured.
Reminder: Always make sure your work surfaces, utensils, pans and tools are free of gluten. Always read product labels. Manufacturers can change product formulations without notice. When in doubt, do not buy or use a product before contacting the manufacturer for verification that the product is free of gluten.
Author Information: Teri Gruss, MS
About.com Guide to Gluten-Free Cooking
Teri was diagnosed with gluten intolerance after decades of symptoms that culminated in malabsorption syndrome. Teri has written numerous health and nutrition articles for the popular website naturalnews.com and was a founding member and moderator of nutritioncircle.org, a nutrition forum for healthcare professionals and students. She is a member of the American Dietetic Association and supports the non-profit organization Gluten Intolerance Group (GIG) of North America as a member.
Email Teri Gruss, MS here.