Christa Johnson

Gluten Free Monkey Bread Recipe

by Christa Johnson on March 25th, 2011

This delicious recipe is taken from "You Won't Believe It's Gluten-Free" by Roben Ryberg

Gluten Free Monkey Bread

Double or Triple the Recipe to Build a Tower like This One!

3 egg whites

1 tablespoon oil

¼ cup milk

½ cup rice flour (75 grams)

2 teaspoons baking powder

½ teaspoon baking soda

1 tablespoon sugar (stevia or splenda are also good)

¼ teaspoon salt

1 ¾ teaspoons xanthan gum

1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar

1 teaspoon gluten free vanilla extract

Filling Ingredients:

½ cup brown sugar

½ teaspoon ground cinnamon

4 tablespoons (1/4 cup) butter or margarine

Preparation

. Preheat oven to 350o F and grease a medium-size loaf pan.

. Beat the egg whites until frothy. Add the remaining dough ingredients and stir until quite thick. (This may take a minute). Set aside.

. Combine the filling ingredients with a fork.

. Drop rounded tablespoons of the dough in the loaf pan. Sprinkle the filling on top and keep layering until the dough and filling are gone.

. Bake for 30-35 minutes until bread is lightly browned and a toothpick comes out clean. Let cool, then invert onto a serving plate.

Enjoy!!

Tags: , , ,

24 Responses to “Gluten Free Monkey Bread Recipe”

1. Michelle says:

I doubled this recipe and used a bundt pan. After it cooled a bit it shrunk down quite a bit. It only filled less than half of the pan. It was a bit spongy and slightly eggy, but good.

2. joelle says:

I think the recipe would be better if you put apple and butter and brown sugar on the bottom of your pan before you put the dough in, it would be an apple upside-down cake and give it some nutritional value !

3. Salina Robbins says:

I can not have rice flour. What would be a comparable substitute? Thanks

4. nicci says:

Whats the carb intake and calories?

5. Lou says:

Do you think coconut sugar could work subbed 1/2:1/2 cup? Or do u think it will dry recipe too much???

6. Lisa says:

How do I triple this recipe

7. Rikki says:

My daughter is allergic to both gluten and rice… Anyone know what would work as a substitute for the rice flour? I haven’t quite figured out how or when to substitute flours.

Thanks!

8. Nancy says:

Do you think I could sub in coconut or almond milk for the milk in this recipe? Thanks!

9. kim says:

wondering if you can use yeast instead of the baking powder and soda? How much yeast would you use?

10. rachel says:

I made it and it tastes AMAZING!!!only when i inverted it,it stuck to the pan:-[ but it still tastes great..;-]…did anyone else have the problem of it sticking?

11. Sage Tragitto says:

As yummy as this looks, I have to say that it is totally devoid of any nutritional value – not much better than the garbage you could put into your body that is normal SAD.

12. Tina says:

If I triple the recipe, how long does it need to cook for?

13. Niki says:

I found this recipe on Pintrest and I must say I was beyond excited to try it out. I followed the instructions step by step, but my ‘dough’ was a complete liquid. I added an entire cup of flour onto the recipe before it became anything close to a dough like consistency. It came out more like a coffee cake, and definitely tasted gluten free. Not sure if I would attempt this again.

• Nana Jones says:

Gluten free bread recipes are never dough like, they are more like cake batter. If you make it dough like you will end up with a brick, as you found out. With no wheat or gluten, there is nothing for the leavening to stretch so the idea of dough just doesn’t work. Think cake batter and you will be more successful.

14. Kalina says:

This recipe was AMAZING!! Even my super picky husband thought it was good and he NEVER likes my gluten free “crap” as he calls it. I will definitely be making it again and tripling the recipe to get a nice big cake like the one pictured.

15. Christa says:

hmmm, I haven’t found gluten free frozen dough yet but I will look around online. If you find any please post! That would be so handy.

16. Courtney says:

How about frozen dough balls to make monkey bread? Know of anywhere i could find them? Thank you!

17. Angie Halten says:

This Monkey Bread certainly has presentation appeal. I think this one would knock the socks off my gluten eating friends! Angie. :)

18. Christa says:

Hey all,
    Doubling or tripling the recipe would make a large stack like in the picture, and 1/2 cup of rice flour is correct. It puffs up quite well in the oven! I would also recommend a vanilla flavored glaze to go on top!

19. Kris says:

Thanks John, I kinda figured that’s what you would have to do. The recipe turned out really good, just one layer though. I think the picture must be triple or quadruple times the recipe though.

20. John Libonati John Libonati says:

Trina, on Facebook suggests doubling the recipe to get multiple layers… http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/GlutenFreeWorkscom/292907001814

21. Kris says:

Just tried this because it looks so good. My only problem so far is the dough recipe doesn’t make enough for more than one layer?? It is only 1/2 cup of rice flour? That won’t make that big monkey bread that was in the picture. It is baking now so will see what happens to the one layer.