It is always a good time for soup. And a fresh carrot soup is no exception. This gluten-free carrot soup is simple and tasty dinner treat for anytime of year.
Buckwheat biscuits make a delicious accompaniment, with their earthy and slightly sweet flavor.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 pounds carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and chopped into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 teaspoon dried coriander
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated ginger
- 5 cups of gluten-free broth
- 1/3 cup greek yogurt
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup all purpose gluten-free baking flour (I used Whole Foods 365 All-Purpose Baking Mix)
- 1/2 cup buckwheat flour (I used Arrowhead Mills organic buckwheat flour)
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 stick of butter, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
1. In a large pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat and add the potatoes, carrots, coriander and ginger stir to coat and heat for 4 minutes.
2. Add broth, bring to a boil and simmer covered, until carrots and potatoes are cooked through, about 30-35 minutes.
3. Transfer batches to a blender or use a hand-mixer to blend soup until thick and smooth.
4. Transfer soup back to stove, add yogurt and stir until blended, season with salt and pepper.
5. Serve warm.
1. While the soup is cooking, prepare the biscuits, pre-heat oven to 425'
2. Combine the flour, sugar, baking soda, and baking powder in a large mixing bowl
3. Work the butter into the flour mixture with your hands, until the mixture is the size of peas
4. Slowly stir in the buttermilk until mixture comes together.
5. Form eight 3-inch wide biscuits, about 3/4-inch thick with your hands. Place on a cookie sheet and bake for 20 minutes, or until browning.
*Always confirm that all ingredients used are gluten-free.
For another tasty buckwheat recipe, try the recipe for buckwheat buttermilk blueberry pancakes.
For more gluten-free recipes visit here.