When Apple Dumplings are baking, their unmistakable aroma fills the air. Much more satisfying than apple pie, everyone is sure to appreciate them.
- Pastry for 2 pie shells (see below)
- 6 medium tart apples (Jonathon, Pink Lady, Winesap, Granny)
- 2/3 cup raisins
- 2/3 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
- 6 tablespoons fructose or honey
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 teaspoons butter (optional)
Ingredients for syrup
- 2 cups apple juice
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 13x9x2 inch glass baking dish.
- Heat oven to 425 degrees. Lightly grease bottom of baking dish.
- Make the syrup: in a medium pot, mix together the apple juice, honey, 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon and clove. Bring to boil, then turn down to low and cook 3 minutes. Set aside.
- Prepare the pastry dough, or see below for our recipe. Divide pastry into 6 balls, then chill.
- Pare and core apples. Mix together raisins, nuts, fructose or honey, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon. Evenly fill apples with this mixture and add a half teaspoon of butter.
- Make the dumplings. One at a time, roll each pastry ball between 2 sheets of plastic wrap to form an 8 inch circle. Remove the top piece of plastic and place an apple in the center of the circle. Bring the edges of the pastry to the top of the apple to enclose it, then press to seal. Peel away the bottom piece of plastic. Repeat with the remaining 5 apples. Space the dumplings evenly in the baking dish and pour the syrup over each one.
- Bake 40 minutes or until crust is golden and syrup has lightly carmelized or thickened.
Pie pastry from our recipe file:
- 1 1/4 cup white rice flour
- 1/4 cup GF millet four or sorghum flour
- 1/2 tsp xanthan gum
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup non-hydrogenated shortening
- 2 large eggs, beaten
Blend dry ingredients - flours, xanthan gum, baking powder and salt. With a pastry blender, mix in the shortening till it resembles coarse meal. Lightly mix in the beaten eggs just until the dough pulls together. Makes 6 dumplings.