The Fourth of July is almost here and it is time for festive desserts. When this Examiner saw that the recipe for Summer Berry Trifle on FamilyFun.com was easily converted to gluten free, it just had to be shared. Schar makes a great gluten-free ladyfinger that can be purchased locally at Return to Eden.
If you would rather eat cake, then Jen Cafferty has a great recipe for a gluten-free flag cake. New Harvest Naturals makes mini pound cakes that can easily be decorated with whipped cream and fresh berries to create individual flag cakes. You can purchase New Harvest Naturals products locally at Return to Eden.
Regardless of what you choose to make, get creative and really wow your family and friends. It doesn’t take much effort to produce a scrumptious gluten-free dessert that is a real crowd pleaser.
Summer Berry Trifle
- 1 package (3.4 oz) instant vanilla pudding
- 4 cups fresh berries(strawberries, blueberries,raspberries, or blackberries)
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons of sugar
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 24 to 36 ladyfingers
- To make the fillings, prepare the pudding according to the package and directions and chill.
- Slice the strawberries, if you’re using them, then toss all of the berries with the lemon juice and the 1/4 cup of sugar. Set aside for 30 minutes to allow the berries to release their juices.
- In a medium mixing bowl, whip the cream, vanilla extract, and remaining 2 tablespoons of sugar until soft peaks form. Set aside.
- To make the layers, set a layer of ladyfingers (around 7 or 8) on the bottom of a large, clear serving bowl (ours was 4 quarts). Top with the berries and half of the pudding.
- Add another layer of ladyfingers, another third of the berries, juice, and the rest of the pudding. Add a final layer of ladyfingers and berries. Top with whipped cream and garnish.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve
Makes 8-10 servings.
Author Information: Jennifer D. Harris, Atlanta, GAAuthor Information: Jennifer D. Harris, Atlanta, GAJennifer D. Harris, http://www.jenniferglutenfreeingeorgia.blogspot.com
Gluten-Free Product Specialist, Return to Eden
Program Chair, Atlanta Metro CeliacsTwitter@jenniferGFinGA