This delightful appetizer can easily be made a dinner full of delicious nutrition for the whole family!
- 3 T olive or favorite oil
- 12 colossal or 16 jumbo raw shrimp, deveined and shells removed, with tails for appetizer (double for dinner)
- ¼ fresh squeezed lime juice (double for dinner)
- ¼ cup dried natural coconut (double for dinner)
- 2 T honey (double for dinner)
- 2 green onions, sliced into thin rounds
- 2 cups cooked rice
- 2 cups thinly sliced romaine lettuce.
- Add honey to a small bowl. Dip each raw shrimp stirring to cover with honey. Remove to a plate, then sprinkle coconut over the shrimp. Turn each to coat well.
- Heat skillet to medium (250F), then add oil. When oil is hot, arrange coated shrimp in one layer. Sprinkle half of lime juice over them.
- Cook 2 to 3 minutes until lightly browned, then turn and sprinkle with rest of lime juice. Sprinkle scallions, cook 2 more minutes or until bottoms are lightly browned.
To make dinner:
- Remove the shrimp to a heated dish then add cooked rice to the skillet.
- Stir to pick up the flavorful coconut bits.
- Turn off the heat, sprinkle pepper and let flavors meld for 2 minutes, uncovered. Meanwhile, make a bed of lettuce to one side of each plate. Arrange shrimps on the lettuce.
- Place rice alongside the lettuce.
- Sliced avocados and tomatoes or shredded fresh carrots and cucumbers can be added or any other desired vegetable.
- Sprinkle lemon or lime juice over all. Ripe pear slices or mandarin oranges enhance the tropical flavors.
You can find this recipe in Gluten Free, Dairy-Free Cooking Made Easy – On Sale Now. Get your copy Here!
Author Information: Cleo Libonati, RN, BSN
Cleo Libonati is president/CEO and co-Founder of Gluten Free Works, Inc. She is the author of Recognizing Celiac Disease.
She can be reached by E-mail.