Gluten free waffles aren't hard to make; you really just need to substitute regular flour with a good gluten free flour blend.
To make some extra special waffles, try this recipe to serve around the holidays. The combination of nutmeg and vanilla makes for some wonderful smells in the house.
Try topping this with some fresh whipped cream, sliced bananas and maple syrup. Yum!
Gluten Free Eggnog Waffles makes 7 or 8 6" round waffles (make recipes individually rather than doubling) Ingredients:
- 2 cups of gluten free flour mix
1 Tbl baking powder
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
1/2 tsp salt2 cups eggnog (if you don't have eggnog, see tips below)
3 Tbl melted butter or vegetable oil
1 tsp vanilla
1 Tbl light or dark rum (optional)
- 1. In a bowl, mix gluten free flour, baking powder, nutmeg and salt.
2. In another bowl, combine eggnog, butter or oil, eggs, vanilla and rum. Slowly add dry ingredients to liquid ingredients, whisking together.
3. Allow to rest for 5 minutes before using. Batter will be thin; this makes it easier to pour. Pour 1/2 cup of batter per waffle. Follow waffle maker instructions.
4. Serve with maple syrup or fresh whipped cream
Note: The batter is much creamier than regular waffle batter because of the eggnog. If you want crispier waffles, add more oil and/or cook longer. If serving all at once, keep waffles in the oven on a low temperature until ready to serve. Placing them on a wire rack on top of a cookie sheet is optimal.
Tips: If you don't have eggnog, use 2 cups of whole milk and add an extra teaspoon of vanilla and 3 Tablespoons of sugar to the wet ingredients. Add an extra 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg to the dry ingredients.