All gluten-free cooks should have a few a great kitchen gadgets to brighten their culinary lives.
Here is a list of the items in my kitchen that I can’t live without.
1. Mandoline - I use it to slice almost everything. Fennel, carrots, radishes, garlic, pears, you name it, I slice it!
2. Food Dehydrator - This week we dehydrated pears, apples, straberries, nectarines, beets and sweet potatoes.
3. Microplane Grater - I use my grater for citrus zest, parmesan cheese and garlic.
4. Washable Cutting Boards - My boards ALWAYS go in the dishwasher.
5. Comfortable and sharp paring and chef’s knives. You don’t need expensive knive, just ones that fit your hand well and that are sharp and can be sharpened regularly.
6. Measuring cups and spoons. I hate to measure anything. I am a cook that just throws ingredients together. But, when baking, I must measure. I love my measuring cups and spoons that are metal and that I can wash easily in the dishwasher.
7. Parchment Paper. This is miracle paper that can be used over and over when baking. You can line your baking pans or put it on a cookie sheet. A true miracle!
8. Good tongs. My tongs are invaluable. I use them to stir things, to lift things, as an extra oven mitt when I don’t have one handy. I love my tongs!
9. A gas grill. When you need to cook in a hurry, there is nothing better than a gas grill. It heats up fast and is easy to clean. You don’t have a lot of messy dishes and everything always tastes great.
10. Waffle maker. There is something decadent about making really good gluten-free waffles on the weekend. Try Pamela’s Products Pancake Mix on the Villaware Flower Waffle Iron for a great treat!
Jen Cafferty, Founder, The Gluten Free Cooking Expo Website: www.glutenfreeclasses.com Blog: www.glutenfreeexpo.wordpress.com National GF Reporter for Examiner.com http://www.examiner.com/x-12164-GlutenFree-Food-Examiner Twitter: jenglutenfree GIG Chicago: www.chicagoglutenfree.com