Lasagna is a dependable, much appreciated composition of gluten-free noodles, cheese and sauce that bakes in the oven for a really memorable meal. Want to add meat? Simply brown ground turkey or beef or Italian sausage removed from casing and cook it in the sauce.
- Box of gluten-free lasagna noodles, cooked and drained
- 2 cups pasta sauce
- 8 oz. fresh sheep cheese (ricotta is traditional but is made from cow milk)
- 2 cups fresh grated melting cheese like manchego (mozzarella is traditional but is made from cow milk)
- 1 fresh egg
- ¼ cup fresh parsley, chopped
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ cup water
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- ¼ cup Romano (sheep) cheese, grated
Meat addition, if desired:
- 1 pound ground meat of choice: turkey, beef or Italian sausage removed from casings adds selenium, copper and plenty of protein.
Deep 9x13 inch glass baking dish.
Prepare the GF lasagna noodles. Cook the noodles as directed on the box, drain. Set aside.
Prepare the filling. While noodles are cooking, combine the soft cheese, melting cheese, egg and parsley in a medium bowl. Sprinkle with black pepper.
Fry the meat until browned then add the tomato sauce. Stir up the brown bits on bottom of pan and cook 15 minutes.
Assemble. Thin tomato sauce with a half cup water, add vinegar, then pour enough in a 9x13 inch glass baking dish to cover bottom. Layer noodles on bottom, then top with a third of the cheese mixture. Spoon tomato sauce over cheese and add another layer of noodles. Top with another third of cheese mixture and tomato sauce. Top with noodles and add remainder of cheese mixture and some sauce. Top with noodles and remainder of sauce to cover noodles. Sprinkle with Romano grated cheese.
Cover with lid or aluminum foil to prevent drying. Bake in oven 40 minutes at 350 degrees F, or until bubbly. Accompany with Avocado Celery Salad. Serves 4.