These scrumptious gluten-free bar cookies have a tangy chew layer over a yummy crumb base!
- 1 cup fine white rice flour
- 1/4 cup fructose or equivalent sweetener
- ½ cup cold butter or gluten-free substitute (not the light kind that contains water)
- ¼ teaspoon xanthan gum
For top lemon layer:
- 2 large eggs
- 2/3 cup fructose or sugar
- ½ teaspoon finely grated lemon skin
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons white rice flour
- ¼ teaspoon gluten-free baking powder
8X8X2 inch square pan with straight edges.
To make the crust layer:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Blend dry ingredients, then cut in butter or substitute with a pastry blender to form a coarse meal. (Reserve ½ cup of this crumb mixture for sprinkling on top layer.)
Pat remainder into ungreased 8X8X2 inch square pan with straight edges. Bake 9 minutes. Do not allow the bottom to brown.
To make the top layer:
In a mixing bowl, beat eggs, fructose, lemon peel, lemon juice, rice flour and baking powder until thick, about 8 minutes. Or put in a blender or food processor. Pour mixture over hot baked crust layer and return to oven for 15 minutes. Sprinkle reserved crumbs evenly over surface. Bake 4 more minutes. Cool in pan, then cut into bars. Makes about 20 depending on size of bars.