Here is a great way to use left-over egg whites! Make this fluffy, tender pan-size pancake the whole family is sure to love. Ummm -- the apple and cinnamon aroma will bring them in a hurry.
- 3 tablespoons gluten-free margarine
- 1 large flavorful apple or 2 medium (such as mackintosh, granny, pink lady), cored, peeled & thin sliced
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/3 cup water
- ½ cup fine white rice flour
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon gluten-free baking powder
- ½ cup vanilla flavored gluten-free rice milk
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon or lime juice
- 2 large fresh egg whites
Skillet with sloping sides.
You will need a 10 inch omelet pan -- that is, sides of skillet need to slope and the bottom should be 7 to 8 inches across as opposed to a straight-sided pan.
Add margarine to the pan and set over medium heat. When margarine melts, arrange apple slices evenly to cover bottom of pan. Sprinkle with the cinnamon then add the 1/3 cup water. Cover to cook apples for 4 minutes. Apples should be softened and moist. If they are dry, add 2 tablespoons water and cover a half-minute.
Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, blend the rice flour, salt, baking powder. Stir in the rice milk and lemon juice, and then quickly beat in the egg whites. Pour mixture evenly over the hot apples and cover. Turn heat to low medium and cook for 4 minutes. Top should spring back when touched.
Remove at once to a large platter. To remove, place plate over the pan and flip pancake onto it. Cut into wedges. Serve with honey or maple syrup if desired. Makes 4 servings.