This wonderful, complex soup is rich in taste and nutrients. The delicious aroma will entice the family straight to your kitchen table. Provides potassium, calcium, zinc, vitamin A, vitamin C, niacin, riboflavin, and folic acid.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 cup thinly sliced Vidalia onions
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 cup tomato sauce like Hunts®
- 2 ½ cups water
- 1 dry bay leaf
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 20 large shrimp, peeled and rinsed
- ½ fresh lemon, juiced
- 1/8 teaspoon saffron dissolved in ¼ cup water
- 1 tablespoon butter or substitute
- 1 1/3 cup hot, cooked rice
Heat oil in large pot over medium heat. Add mushrooms, garlic and onions. Saute vegetables until golden, about 5 minutes. Add tomato sauce, water, bay leaf, parsley, salt and pepper. Cook for 10 minutes. Do not boil.
Add raw shrimp. Cook 5 minutes. Stir in lemon juice, saffron water and butter.
To serve, place 1/3 cup rice into each bowl, then ladle soup over it. Makes 4 servings.