Try this flavorful dish for a whopping dose of selenium from uniquely soft, crunchy Brazil nuts -- with a texture reminiscent of water chestnuts.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ¼ cup onion, chopped
- ¾ cup Arborio or short grain rice
- 4 cups gluten-free chicken broth
- ½ cup Brazil nuts, chopped
- ¼ cup fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon basil leaves
- 1/3 cup romano (sheep) cheese, grated
Heavy bottomed medium pot with lid.
Add oil to heavy bottomed medium size pot. Heat to low medium then add onions to saute golden. Do not let brown. Add nuts then rice. Heat until rice whitens, then add a cup of broth and parsley, basil, salt and pepper. Stir frequently as broth is absorbed. Add more broth until all is used, about 20 minutes. Rice will retain its shape well but should not be hard in middle. Fold in cheese and serve as side dish. Serves 4.