If you’ve never tried chicken liver, here is a dish that is nutritious, fast, and flavorful. Enjoy this excellent source of vitamin A, vitamin B12, iron, riboflavin, niacin (vitamin B3), pantothenic acid (vitamin B5), pyridoxine (vitamin B6), copper, selenium, and protein once a month to keep healthy.
- I pound container of natural/ organic chicken livers; rinsed well in cold water to remove bitterness
- ½ cup rice flour or corn flour (masa harina)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil or canola oil salt & black pepper
- ½ medium onion, thin sliced
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice or vinegar (apple cider or rice)
- 2 tablespoons rice starch or corn starch
Cut liver lobes in half, then dredge in flour of choice. Heat skillet to medium, then add oil and livers. Sautee until golden, about 5 minutes. Sprinkle salt & pepper. Turn over and add onions. Sautee everything till golden, about 5 minutes. Remove cooked livers to a heated platter.
To make gravy, add lemon juice or vinegar to water then stir in starch. Add to pan, scraping up brown bits for flavor. Cook until thickened, about 3 minutes. Adjust salt & pepper.