Surprise the family with this colorful side loaded with taste, texture, and nutrition. Or make it for a healthy lunch, with or without, low-fat sour cream or substitute.
- 2 cups yellow (summer) squash, cubed
- 1/3 cup water
- sprinkle of salt and pepper
- 1 teaspoon cilantro, chopped
- 1 cup cooked rice (leftover)
- 1/2 cup (or more to taste) gluten-free refried beans
Medium pot with lid.
- Wash and chop the squash into 1/2 inch cubes.
- Pour water into the pot and bring to boil.
- Add the chopped squash, salt and pepper.
- Turn down heat to low medium and cook for 5 minutes.
- Stir in the cooked rice, cilantro, and refried beans.
- Cook 2 more minutes to heat through.