Cooking the meatloaf in a skillet rather than in the oven means your kitchen stays cool and you’ll have a rich, tasty sauce. The addition of nutrient, fiber-rich rice bran and flax take the place of breadcrumbs, keeping the meat moist and soft.
- 1 pound ground meat (meatloaf mix of part beef, pork, and veal or beef chuck or turkey)
- 1 egg
- 3 tablespoons tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons Romano cheese or other hard cheese
- 1 tablespoon flaxseed meal
- 3 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 1/4 cup leeks or onions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons rice bran
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 to 2 cups white mushrooms, sliced (optional)
- 2 tablespoons tomato sauce in 1 cup water
- 4 medium potatoes with eyes removed, scrubbed and cut into 1 inch cubes
- 16 baby carrots halved or 4 carrots scrubbed and quartered into 16 pieces
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch or rice flour mixed in 1 1/2 cup water
Large skillet with sloping sides to allow flipping the loaf, and lid.
- Heat electric skillet to 250 degrees, or if using a regular skillet, use medium heat.
- Into a medium bowl, add egg, parsley, salt, pepper, rice bran, flaxseed meal, leeks or onions, 3 T tomato sauce and cheese. Mix ingredients with your hands.
- Add meat, mix well with your hands (good to use thin plastic disposable gloves) and form a flat oval shape 2 inches thick. Drizzle olive oil around center of skillet then place meat loaf in center of skillet.
- Slowly brown loaf for 15 minutes. Using a large spatula, carefully flip and brown other side 10 minutes. Add mushrooms after turning meat, and saute; till golden brown, stirring occasionally. Add combined 2 T tomato sauce to 1 cup of water and add to skillet. Add potatoes and carrots and cook til tender, about 10 minutes.
- At this point you could make a non-starchy side vegetable such as broccoli, kale, green beans, or squash. Applesauce or a salad also would go well.
- Remove meatloaf and vegetables to heated platter. Stir cornstarch mixture into pan drippings and cook until thickened, about 2 minutes. Adjust salt and pepper to taste. Pass the gravy. Serves 4.